Brazilian authorities arrest mother, 25, after she stabbed three-year-old daughter and dumped the child in a river where she drowned
- Karine Minuto was arrested Sunday in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, for murdering her three-year-old daughter, Manoela Minuto Aguiar
- The 25-year-old mother was approached by her father while she was riding a bicycle and told him that the child ‘was in heaven’
- The concerned father escorted his daughter into his vehicle and drove to where she had thrown his granddaughter into the Macaé River and called 911
- Firefighters arrived on the scene and told Minuto’s father about reports of a girl who had been found at nearby Barreto Beach
- The distraught grandfather went to the beach and was able to identify the girl’s body
- Minuto was taken into custody; it’s unknown if she has been formally charged with her daughter’s murder
Authorities in Brazil apprehended a woman in connection to the death of her three-year-daughter after she confessed to stabbing and dumping her into a river where she drowned.
Karine Minuto, 25, was taken into custody in the Rio de Janeiro municipality of Macabé on Sunday, according to Brazilian news outlet G1.
Minuto stabbed Manoela Minuto Aguiar and then dumped her into the Macaé River.
Karine Minuto (left) confessed to her father and police in the Rio de Janeiro city of Macaé that she had stabbed and dumped her three-year-old daughter Manoela Minuto Aguiar (right) into the Macaé River on Sunday before a beachgoer spotted the girl’s lifeless body on the sands of Barreto Beach
Karine Minuto told her father that her daughter, Manoela Minuto Aguiar, ‘was in heaven’ after he saw her riding a bicycle in his neighborhood Sunday in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. She and her father drove to the location where she had thrown her down into the Macaé River and then went over to nearby Barreto Beach where he identified his granddaughter’s body. Minuto was arrested on the scene and confessed to the police to killing her child
The Macaé local medical examiner’s office reported that Minuto Aguiar was still alive when Minuto threw the defenseless girl into the water.
Macaè police chief Victor de Azevedo said in a statement that Minuto’s father went to her home around 7:30am to check on her well-being after her bouts with mental illness had worsened.
He left the residence and located Minuto riding a bicycle in the Barra Mares neighborhood where he resides.
Three-year-old Manoela Minuto Aguiar was found dead on a beach in the Rio de Janeiro city of Macaé on Sunday morning. An autopsy showed she was still alive when her daughter stabbed and dumped her into the Macaé River before the body washed up on the sands of Barreto Beach
Manoela Minuto Aguiar was killed by her mother in Rio de Janeiro on Sunday
Upon inquiring about Minuto Aguiar’s whereabouts, Minuto acknowledged she had thrown her daughter into the river and told her father, ‘Manuella is in heaven.’
Minuto’s father placed her in his vehicle and drove off towards the location where she indicated she had abandoned Manuella.
He contacted the local fire department for assistance and learned from a responding firefighter that his granddaughter’s lifeless body had been discovered by a bystander after she had washed up on the sands of Barreto Beach.
The shocked grandfather took off for the beach where he was able to identify the child.
Minuto, who split Manuella’s custody with her former husband, was taken into custody on the scene.
It’s unknown if she has been formally charged with her daughter’s murder.