Entertainment

Brendan Cole hits back after he was slammed for his ‘irresponsible’ face mask claims

Brendan Cole has hit back at critics after he was slammed for suggesting that wearing a face mask to protect against the spread of Covid has no effect.

The former Strictly Come Dancing professional, 44, took to Instagram on Friday night to insist that he is entitled to ‘my opinion’ in a lengthy statement.

Brendan said that he had deleted his original post and apologised for causing ‘any offence after followers branded him ‘totally irresponsible’. 

‘I am entitled to MY opinion!’: Brendan Cole has hit back at critics after he was slammed for suggesting that wearing a face mask to protect against the spread of Covid has no effect (pictured in 2019)  

Although the dancer added that he has a ‘right to protest’ and claimed that critics will ‘simply abuse’ anyone who dares to ‘think differently’. 

Brendan was supported by his former Strictly co-star, James Jordan, and former celebrity dance partner Jo Wood who stuck up for him in the comments section.  

The dancer penned in a lengthy message shared to his grid and story: ‘I have deleted the post that I reposted earlier as I am not in the business of causing offence to people and clearly it has p****d many of you off.

‘I am entitled to my opinion on the subject but if I have offended you, for this I am sorry.

Hitting back: The former Strictly Come Dancing professional, 44, took to Instagram on Friday night to insist that he has a 'right to protest' and was supported by former Strictly partner Jo Wood (pictured together on the show in 2009)

Hitting back: The former Strictly Come Dancing professional, 44, took to Instagram on Friday night to insist that he has a ‘right to protest’ and was supported by former Strictly partner Jo Wood (pictured together on the show in 2009)  

Lengthy: Brendan said that he had deleted his original post and apologised for causing 'any offence after followers branded him 'totally irresponsible', although he added that he is entitled to 'my opinion'

Lengthy: Brendan said that he had deleted his original post and apologised for causing ‘any offence after followers branded him ‘totally irresponsible’, although he added that he is entitled to ‘my opinion’

‘If you are indeed upset by it, I do understand. I will point out that there is plenty of evidence on the contrary and it is up to each of us to believe what we believe.

‘I am doing as I am told and wearing but have the right to protest… or at least I used to!’

He added: ‘We now seem to be living in a world where we are not allowed different views and will simply abuse anyone who thinks differently.

‘I will continue to believe in the information from many medical practitioners and professionals in the know and continue to believe that this has been the wrong way to handle things, not only regarding the info in the post but with the various measures put in place.

‘If you disagree with me, I will listen and debate but I will not abuse you for thinking differently. My intention was not to offend, simply to have a voice.’

Signing off his statement, he put: ‘I wish you all well and hope that the many people whose lives are in ruins because of the various measures put in place will stay strong and somehow recover.’

Misinformation: Brendan came under fire for suggesting that wearing a face mask to protect against the spread of Covid has no effect on Thursday where critics called him 'totally irresponsible'

Misinformation: Brendan came under fire for suggesting that wearing a face mask to protect against the spread of Covid has no effect on Thursday where critics called him ‘totally irresponsible’ 

Jo Wood, 65, who was previously married to Rolling Stones star Ronnie Wood, supported Brendan in the comments.

The former model was paired with the dancer on the 2009 series of Strictly Come Dancing, she wrote: ‘I love you Brendan ❤️and I believe in freedom of speech we should all be free to have our own opinions and free to debate all issues .. 

‘I think you should of left your post up .. as I’m with your way of thinking 100%.’ 

While fellow former Strictly dancer James, 42, who is known for his outspoken remarks, sarcastically commented: ‘You’re such a trouble maker!!! You should try and be more like me mate and not be so opinionated.

‘It’s really not a good look I’m really not one that likes to get involved but felt I needed to say something. 

Support: Jo Wood, 65, who was previously married to Rolling Stones star Ronnie Wood, supported Brendan in the comments (pictured together on Strictly in 2009)

Support: Jo Wood, 65, who was previously married to Rolling Stones star Ronnie Wood, supported Brendan in the comments (pictured together on Strictly in 2009) 

Pals: The former model was paired with the dancer on the 2009 series of Strictly Come Dancing, she wrote: 'I love you Brendan ❤️.'

Pals: The former model was paired with the dancer on the 2009 series of Strictly Come Dancing, she wrote: ‘I love you Brendan ❤️.’ 

‘Some people even enjoy being s#@t stirrers. I think you need to just calm down Luv ya ❤️.’

Brendan came under fire for suggesting that wearing a face mask to protect against the spread of Covid has no effect on Thursday. 

The dancer was slammed for being ‘totally irresponsible’ after he shared an Instagram post doubting the efficacy of wearing a mask.

He wrote: ‘The first randomised trial of more than 6000 individuals to assess the effectiveness of surgical face masks against SARS-CoV-2 infection did not statistically significantly reduce the incident of infection.’  

To further emphasise his point, he penned below: ‘#Repost @drmercola with @get_repost.

Former co-star: While fellow former Strictly dancer James Jordan, 42, who is known for his outspoken remarks, sarcastically commented  on the post

Former co-star: While fellow former Strictly dancer James Jordan, 42, who is known for his outspoken remarks, sarcastically commented  on the post 

Sarcasm: 'You’re such a trouble maker!!! You should try and be more like me mate and not be so opinionated,' he joked

Sarcasm: ‘You’re such a trouble maker!!! You should try and be more like me mate and not be so opinionated,’ he joked 

‘The so-called ‘Danmask-19 Trial,’ published November 18, 2020, in the Annals of Internal Medicine, included 3,030 individuals assigned to wear a surgical face mask and 2,994 unmasked controls.’ 

Brendan’s fans, including medical professionals, were left fuming by his ‘c**p’ post and were quick to tell him they had unfollowed him.

Others urged the New Zealand-born ballroom dancer to delete his controversial message, claiming it was full of ‘misinformation’ and would ‘put others at risk’. 

Dr Joshua Wolrich claimed that Brendan had his facts mixed up and there was proof of the contrary, adding: ‘Think before you share c**p that fits what you want to believe otherwise you become directly responsible for people coming to harm.’

Raging: Brendan's followers, including medical professionals, were left fuming by his 'c**p' post on Thursday and were quick to tell the dancer they had unfollowed him

Raging: Brendan’s followers, including medical professionals, were left fuming by his ‘c**p’ post on Thursday and were quick to tell the dancer they had unfollowed him

They added: ‘Do the right thing and delete this information.’

While one Scottish nurse echoed the doctor’s sentiments, angrily penning: ‘That is not what we need at the moment. Follow the bl***y guidance and wear to protect others.’

Another fan branded Brendan as ‘totally irresponsible’, writing: ‘I work in healthcare and have had patients refuse to wear masks because of this type of misinformation putting others at risk.’

More of his 88,000 followers, which has since dropped to 87.6K, told the TV star that they were ‘disappointed’ in his ‘selfish’ actions spreading ‘fake news’ and even told him to just ‘stick to dancing’. 

It is not the first time Brendan has voiced his controversial views on social media, as he previously took to Facebook to slam Covid-19 safety measures as ‘outrageous’.

Selfish! More of his 88,000 followers told the TV star that they were 'disappointed' in his 'selfish' actions spreading 'fake news' and even told him to just 'stick to dancing'

Selfish! More of his 88,000 followers told the TV star that they were ‘disappointed’ in his ‘selfish’ actions spreading ‘fake news’ and even told him to just ‘stick to dancing’

He penned: ‘For the first time in recent history we are being controlled in so many ways. Why can we not protest? 

‘Why can we not have an opinion and discuss these differences of opinion openly without being silenced or called names. 

‘Why is there so much fear and hysteria being pumped down our airways when the numbers (often put is a certain way to look worse than they are) don’t reflect the outrageous measures being put in place. 

‘I’m not saying it’s not dangerous and if you have been affected by it then I am truly sorry for you. 

‘However, other lives are important too and millions of lives and business’ are being ruined.’  


Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button