The child allegedly sexually assaulted by MasterChef’s Ben Ungermann had made a previous complaint about him.
The bombshell revelations were aired in a Melbourne court on Wednesday where a two-day ground rules hearing was scheduled to take place.
Daily Mail Australia revealed in May that Ungermann faced three separate charges of sexually assaulting his alleged victim, 16.
Ben Ungermann has appeared in a Melbourne court via video link in Queensland. He is expected to eventually have to return to Melbourne to face child sex allegations
Ben Ungermann continues to post videos and photos of himself to social media flexing his guns to adoring fans
Ben Ungermann was quietly removed from MasterChef last year
Ungermann did not appear in the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court and is believed to be holed-up in Queensland where he continues to post videos of himself pumping iron on social media.
The hearing was dramatically delayed after police revealed it intended to make an application to use tendency evidence against Ungermann during his contested hearing in May.
Police prosecutor Sergeant Peter Murphy said the alleged victim had made a statement against the Masterchef star in Queensland 18-months before her alleged attack in Melbourne on February 23 last year.
The court heard the young girl participated in a recorded interview with Queensland detectives, which did not result in any charges being laid against Ungermann.
However, Victorian detectives believe the allegations could prove the former reality star had a ‘tendency’ to behave in similar ways to the allegations now placed against him.
The alleged victim – now aged 17 – is expected to endure a two-day grilling when she fronts court next month, which is why the ‘ground rules’ hearing was necessary.
Ungermann has 97,000 followers on Instagram, where he continues to post videos and photos
Former MasterChef contestant Ben Ungermann makes regular Instagram posts
Ungermann’s lawyer Ben Bullock appeared in court via videolink from Western Australia after the Masterchef star was forced to ditch Stary Norton Halphen Criminal Lawyers.
Mr Bullock said his firm had only been handed the brief of evidence against Ungermann last week and he had not yet viewed the video police wished to use against his client.
The court heard the alleged victim had participated in four video interviews with police – three directly in relation to the Melbourne charges.
Magistrate Mia Stylianou was scathing of both the police prosecutor and Mr Bullock for failing to come prepared for the two day hearing.
She slammed police for failing to disclose to the defence earlier that it intended to run tendency evidence against Ungermann.
‘Did police not think that might be relevant?’ she asked.
While the specifics of the earlier allegations remain unknown, Sgt Murphy said the alleged victim’s statement ‘puts into context’ her relationship with Ungermann and the ‘nature’ of their relationship.
Ungermann continues to post buff photos of himself on Instagram
Ungermann likes to show-off on Instagram where he continues to receive support from fans
We all got problems: Ungermann took to Instagram to declare no-one cares about his problems
Ms Stylianou described the developments as ‘substantial’, warning it could greatly impact the upcoming contested hearing.
Mr Bullock, who admitted he had only ‘glanced his eyes’ over the transcript of the girl’s earlier statement, said, if allowed, the evidence would prejudice his client’s right to a fair trial.
‘Certainly I think we’ll be objecting to that evidence … we say it is irrelevant and highly prejudicial with no probative value,’ he said.
Court documents state police allege Ungermann intentionally touched his alleged child victim without her consent – and he knew it – at least three times.
One of the charges includes graphic detail of one of the alleged attacks against the young girl.
Police allege the teenage girl states that on Sunday, February 23, Ungermann ‘sexually touched her right breast skin-to-skin’ against her wishes.
Police intend to call four child witnesses to give evidence against Ungermann – each of them from interstate.
The hearing is expected to take seven days when it gets underway in May.
The court has heard 13 witnesses would be called at the hearing, including five other interstate witnesses, one from Melbourne and three police officers.
Ungermann himself hopes to call a ‘civilian witness’ from South Africa, who is expected to give evidence via videolink from abroad.
At the time of the alleged offending, Ungermann had been in a relationship with South African TV star and radio personality Leigh-Anne Williams.
Ben Ungermann faces multiple sex assault charges in Melbourne after he was arrested in Docklands in February
Ben Ungermann was quietly removed from the latest season of MasterChef.
Ungermann hit Instagram in late March as police continued to piece together the allegations against him. He will appear in a Melbourne court in May
Ben’s Instagram Life On Display
February 17: Hits Insta to tell his followers he’s with his girlfriend in Melbourne while filming MasterChef
February 23: A teenage girl alleges she is sexually assaulted by the MasterChef contestant while at the Docklands
February 25: Promotes his appearance in newspapers talking about his appearance on the new MasterChef
March 6: Police charge Ungermann with two counts of sexual assault
March 13: Ungermann uses a different Instagram account to ask his girlfriend to call him ASAP
March 19: Ungermann posts a selfie of himself working out, stating: THE COMEBACK IS ALWAYS GREATER THAN THE SETBACK
He also a posts a photo of himself hand-in-hand with Leigh-Anne Williams – sparking reports the couple are engaged
March 20: A brooding Ungermann posts: ‘You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have’
March 20-24: Reports surface that Ungermann has been arrested and had left MasterChef
May 1: South African girlfriend posts Ungermann well wishes for his birthday from back in South Africa
May 19: Daily Mail Australia reveals Ungermann faces sexual assault allegatons
May 20: His Instagram page stops accepting comments
All four of the child witnesses are expected to provide their evidence to the court via web cast when the matter eventually returns to court.
Ungermann himself continues to appear on Instagram where he posts buffed photos of himself to adoring fans.
On Tuesday, he posted a video of himself working out under the banner: ‘I got a sad story too. But no-one cares. Grind harder. Work harder.’
Daily Mail Australia revealed that Ungermann had been staying in a serviced apartment in Melbourne’s Docklands precinct when he put an urgent call out Williams.
His life was quickly falling apart after being charged on March 6 last year with sexually assaulting the teenage girl.
He was about to slip a ring on the South African TV star’s finger and was on the verge of being cast into the spotlight again on a new MasterChef show.
But less than a week after being charged, the hulking Ungermann didn’t make a phone call to his supposed bride to be and he didn’t directly text her phone.
Instead, Ungermann placed a public message on Instagram from an account he does not normally outwardly use.
And it appeared to be a call for help.
‘Honey, Leigh please call me asap at Quest New Quay room 1705B,’ he messaged her sometime in early March.
The post and its responses have since been removed.
Victorian sexual crime squad detectives had already moved in and charged Ungermann after a report was made alleging he had sexually assaulted a 16-year old girl weeks earlier on February 23.
Ungermann had been filming in Melbourne for the MasterChef: Back to Win program.
In June, Sydney lawyer Adam Houda told Daily Mail Australia his client was completely blindsided by the charges.
‘My client is distressed by the charges, which came as a huge shock to him,’ he said at the time.
‘The allegations, I am instructed, are a complete fabrication and are denied.’
The matter will return to court next month.
Ungermann put out this apparent call for help in the days after he was charged with sexual assault
Engagement rumours: MasterChef Australia star Ben Ungermann’s Instagram post sparked rumours he was engaged to his then girlfriend, South African TV star and radio personality Leigh-Anne Williams. Ungermann has suggested she will act as a defence witness in his upcoming trial
Leigh-Anne Williams was reportedly engaged to Ben Ungermann before returning to South Africa. She is expected to give evidence in his defence