I’m A Celebrity legends including Charlie Brooks and Joey Essex have reportedly been sent home, despite spending two weeks in self-isolation, as plans for their return were axed by bosses.
The stars were pictured heading home after spending a fortnight in quarantine having been reportedly been under the impression they’d be sent to Gwrych Castle for a cameo appearance this series.
It was reported former contestants including Vicky Pattison and Joe Swash were going to return to this year’s I’m A Celebrity for a challenge, as the show celebrated its 20th series.
Not going to happen! I’m A Celebrity legends including Charlie Brooks (pictured) and Joey Essex have reportedly been sent home, despite spending two weeks in self-isolation
Pictures obtained by The Sun showed Joey and Charlie leaving their accommodation in Wales after being ordered to isolate for two weeks by ITV bosses.
It’s now thought they will not be travelling to the castle for the new series, with sources claiming it’s not known why they were sent home.
They told the publication: ‘It was never clear exactly what role the four stars would play on the series, but it’s obvious they’d been chosen as they were among the most popular former contestants.
‘They were being prepared through isolation to ensure there was no risk of them bringing coronavirus on to the set and infecting the other celebrities or the crew and causing chaos.
Cancelled: The stars (Joey pictured) were seen heading home after spending a fortnight in quarantine
Back to the show! It had been reported that former I’m A Celebrity stars including Joe Swash (pictured) were returning to the show, either for a night in camp or to host a challenge
‘But it’s not clear why Joe, Vicky, Charlie and Joey haven’t made it to the final stage and walked through the castle gates to join the other celebrities.’
It’s also thought the stars involved weren’t told what their involvement in I’m A Celebrity would be when they entered isolation, but will still receive their fees.
MailOnline has contacted representatives for I’m A Celebrity for comment.
It was previously reported that producers were discussing plans to have former stars spend a night in the camp or present a challenge, and Vicky, Charlie, Joey and Joe were advised to pack the relevant clothing and be ready in short notice.
Still one to watch! Elsewhere it was reported on Saturday that I’m A Celebrity will still feature the iconic Cyclone trial, despite the series relocating from Australia to Wales
Elsewhere it was reported on Saturday that I’m A Celebrity will still feature the iconic Cyclone trial, despite the series relocating from Australia to Wales.
The challenge has been a series fixture since 2006, with celebrities tasked with moving oversized stars while being hit by hoses, fans and enormous balls.
A source told The Sun: ‘This often took place in the heat of the Australian jungle which meant it could easily be staged outside where it needs huge amounts of space.
‘That left fans wondering if building something similar in Gwrych Castle in Wales might be impossible, because of the freezing temperatures and the limited room inside the building and its grounds.
Sensational: Sources claim the action-packed challenge will return this series, having been a fixture since 2006 (Andy Whyment is pictured doing the trial last year)
‘But it seems producers, who are determined to ensure the British equivalent is just as fun as the one Down Under, have found a way to make it happen.’
Earlier this month it was reported stars including Vicky, Joe and Charlie would be returning to I’m A Celebrity for a guest appearance, either by heading into the camp itself or hosting a challenge.
At the time Charlie was pictured taking luggage into a blacked-out people carrier that went to Abergele in Wales.
A source told The Sun: ‘What better way to celebrate 20 series of the show than getting some of the stars of yesteryear to take part in some way?
‘As always with the jungle, they’re keeping their cards close to their chest and have yet to decide exactly what they will do with Charlie, Vicky and Joey, but it could be any number of things.
‘They told them they had to spend some time isolating, just like this year’s contestants have done, ahead of being taken up to Wales.’
What’s going on? It’s thought stars including Vicky Pattison (pictured) were not told the nature of their appearance by bosses, and were simply asked to self-isolate