I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! filming plans ‘in disarray’ as location in Queensland goes into lockdown
ITV bosses were given the go ahead to fly the show’s cast and crew Down Under after the popular reality series was filmed in Wales last year due to pandemic travel restrictions.
But as Queensland and other Australian states were plunged into lockdown again on Monday, hopes to return to the original camp may be scuppered.
In the balance: Plans for I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!, hosted by Ant and Dec, to return to the Australian jungle this year may be stopped by Queensland’s lockdown
A source told The Sun: ‘The plan is for I’m A Celebrity to be filmed in Australia and at the moment that is still the case.
‘But seeing Queensland and other parts of Australia go into lockdown because of Coronavirus outbreaks is the kind of news they dread.
‘People in the affected areas are not allowed to work for three days and are in total lockdown.
Familiar setting: ITV bosses were given the go ahead to fly the show’s cast and crew Down Under after the popular reality series was filmed in Wales last year
‘Filming is still a way off but if something like this happens nearer the time, they may have to rethink their plans.’
MailOnline has contacted ITV for comment.
Last month it was reported the show, hosted by Ant and Dec, was given the option to film in Australia again, after the 2020 series was recorded in Gwrych Castle in Abergele, Wales because of travel restrictions amid the coronavirus crisis.
Going back for round two? There has been speculation the show will return to Gwrych Castle in Wales for the 2021 series with reports claiming ITV have already booked it as a backup
A border force source told The Sun at the time: ‘Everyone is delighted with this news. All the signs are now pointing towards a return to the jungle.
‘As great as a year in the castle was, the show is made by its surroundings and the glitz and glamour of the jungle.
‘ITV have assurances from Australian border control bosses that even if a wider travel ban is still in place for tourists, they’ll get the paperwork and clearance they need to send cast and crew to Oz. It’s a big moment.’
She’s a champ! Giovanna Fletcher was crowned the first Queen of the Castle in December last year, beating Jordan North and Vernon Kay to the top spot
Australia has been hailed one of the world’s Covid success stories, where infection rates were near zero, due to their strict lockdowns and border control.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced last month that Australia won’t re-open borders until mid-2022.
Giovanna Fletcher was crowned the first Queen of the Castle in December last year, beating Jordan North and Vernon Kay to the top spot.
Chatting away: ITV chief executive Dame Carolyn McCall confirmed earlier this year that bosses are hoping the show will return to the jungle (pictured in 2018)