Married At First Sight star Nasser Sultan hits back at claims he kept charitable funds – after domestic violence charities claimed they had no knowledge of his fundraiser
Nasser Sultan has hit back at hurtful suggestions he kept charitable funds for himself after two charities claimed they had no knowledge of his fundraiser.
The Married At First Sight star, 52, told Daily Mail Australia on Friday he was planning to donate the money he’d earned on video-sharing website Cameo to charity, but insisted he’d never told fans he was ‘affiliated with any organisation’ in particular.
‘It has blown way out of context. I had been asked to join Cameo for about two years and I initially said no because the other people who have joined it are charging $100, $200 or $300. Eventually I joined it and decided to charge $5,’ he explained.
Hitting back! Married At First Sight star Nasser Sultan (pictured) hit back at claims he kept charitable funds after domestic violence charities claimed they had no knowledge of his fundraiser on Friday
‘Cameo take 25 per cent of the $5 and I decided to donate the rest to a domestic violence charity. A friend told me to look into White Ribbon and 1800 RESPECT.’
Nasser added: ‘All it is is a service that I’m providing. I’m not asking fans to pay anything. It goes through a first party [Cameo] and that party pays me and then when I get the money I will give the money I earned to those charities.’
He also claimed he’d contacted 1800 RESPECT last week but they told him he needed to contact their media department, so he has decided to donate the money to a local women’s shelter instead.
‘I haven’t taken anything but it’s $35 and it’s my money so I can give it to whomever I want. I’m going to give it to a woman’s shelter in Surry Hills,’ he said.
‘I’m not setting anything up and I’m not taking people’s money.’
Money: He told Daily Mail Australia on Friday, he was planning to donate all the money he earned on video-sharing website Cameo to charity but never told his fans he was ‘affiliated with any organisations’
It comes after Nasser shared a video to Instagram asking his followers to send him money to be donated to organisations including White Ribbon and 1800 RESPECT.
However, the charities responded to Nasser’s post and claimed they hadn’t received any donations from him.
‘I’m not a professional about domestic violence, but I’m only here to take your money and contribute to the cause,’ he said in the video.
He continued: ‘It’s a very good cause and I’ve had a lot of messages this week from domestic violence people, which I was heartbroken.’
Nasser’s followers started questioning which organisations he would be donating the money to and whether he was actually affiliated with charities.
Donations: It comes after Nasser shared a video to Instagram asking his followers to send him money to be donated to organisations
‘Where is the money going? Would love to know what charity that funds will actually end up with,’ one person commented.
‘Just wondering where you are donating this money exactly?’ another asked.
Nasser then mentioned White Ribbon and 1800 RESPECT as two organisations he wished to donate to. Both charities responded in the comments section, claiming he hadn’t contacted them.
‘If a meeting had taken place with an authorised 1800 RESPECT representative, we would have let you know that we do not accept donations or fundraising on behalf of third parties. Again, we recommend people contact services and donate directly,’ the charity wrote.
White Ribbon also tweeted: ‘We can confirm Nasser Sultan is not raising money for us or @1800RESPECT.’
Response: However, the charities responded to Nasser’s post and claimed they haven’t received any donations from him