Entertainment

The Block 2021: Workers start to partially demolish the five homes Nine bought for $11.5million

It was confirmed last week that Nine producers had snapped up five homes in a leafy Melbourne cul-de-sac for $11.5million, in preparation for the 2021 season.

And on Monday, construction began to partially demolish the properties on Bronte Court in Hampton – including one which a concerned neighbour battled to get heritage listed.

A whole team of workers arrived at the houses this week, with an excavator in tow to begin knocking down sections of the homes for them to be renovated next year.

Blank canvas: On Monday, construction began to partially demolish parts of the five homes Nine snapped up in Bronte Court in Hampton, Melbourne – including one which a concerned neighbour battled to get heritage listed

It’s sure to cause anger for some, after one neighbour argued that one of the recently-renovated houses – originally designed by architect designed by Neil Clerehan – should be considered as a heritage site.

An interim protection order request was made to Heritage Victoria by a local committee member, but it was denied due to lack of evidence.

The Block’s executive producer Julian Cress recently denied the homes would be completely demolished, telling Domain: ‘Most people who follow the program understand The Block is a renovation program, it’s not a demolition program.

‘We are not in the business of demolishing houses.’

Before: It's sure to cause anger for some, after a neighbour argued that one of the recently-renovated houses - originally designed by architect designed by Neil Clerehan - should be considered for heritage

Before: It’s sure to cause anger for some, after a neighbour argued that one of the recently-renovated houses – originally designed by architect designed by Neil Clerehan – should be considered for heritage

After: The homes were seen with skips in the driveway and rubble throughout the front garden as the changes were made this week

After: The homes were seen with skips in the driveway and rubble throughout the front garden as the changes were made this week

Hard at work: Construction staff were spotted transforming the homes into blank canvases for next year's contestants

Hard at work: Construction staff were spotted transforming the homes into blank canvases for next year’s contestants

Change: What was once a quiet cul-de-sac turned into a construction site earlier this month, and it's not yet known when the demolitions will be complete

Change: What was once a quiet cul-de-sac turned into a construction site earlier this month, and it's not yet known when the demolitions will be complete

Change: What was once a quiet cul-de-sac turned into a construction site earlier this month, and it’s not yet known when the demolitions will be complete 

No expense spared: In a bid to secure a large-scale site, producers gave residents of Bronte Court in Hampton, Melbourne, generous offers to buy their homes, despite none being for sale

No expense spared: In a bid to secure a large-scale site, producers gave residents of Bronte Court in Hampton, Melbourne, generous offers to buy their homes, despite none being for sale

Biting back: In light of construction taking place, Julian told the Herald Sun that the Block is a 'renovation show', adding: 'With any renovation or extension, demolition is required'

Biting back: In light of construction taking place, Julian told the Herald Sun that the Block is a ‘renovation show’, adding: ‘With any renovation or extension, demolition is required’

However, in light of construction, Julian told The Herald Sun: ‘With any renovation or extension, demolition is required.

‘The Block is a renovation show that is in the business of restoring homes.’

Bayside Council development and city planning manager Matthew Cripps added: ‘Under the Bayside Planning Scheme, a planning permit is not required for the demolition or construction of single dwellings on blocks larger than 500 sqm.

‘As none of the properties in Bronte Court are covered by heritage controls, there is no planning permit required.’ 

Daily Mail Australia have contacted Nine for further comment. 

One of the five homes was owned by The Block auctioneer Nicole Jacobs, and sold in June for $3,025,000. Her next-door neighbours followed suit, and soon sold theirs for a cool $2million.

Public records show that the three remaining homes settled last week. Two houses on Nicole’s side of the street sold for $2,072,500 and $1,815,000, while a home on the opposite side sold for $2.66million. 

Getting ready: After a successful 2020 season - which saw the winners break records by taking home more than $1million in profit - the new project is set to be bigger than ever. Pictured: The Block judges Neale Whitaker, Shaynna Blaze and Darren Palmer

Getting ready: After a successful 2020 season – which saw the winners break records by taking home more than $1million in profit – the new project is set to be bigger than ever. Pictured: The Block judges Neale Whitaker, Shaynna Blaze and Darren Palmer 

Unknown: While some of the homes appear to be drastically demolished, others were less affected

Unknown: While some of the homes appear to be drastically demolished, others were less affected 

Nothing wrong: Bayside Council development and city planning manager Matthew Cripps said because none of the properties in Bronte Court are covered by heritage controls, 'there is no planning permit required'

Nothing wrong: Bayside Council development and city planning manager Matthew Cripps said because none of the properties in Bronte Court are covered by heritage controls, ‘there is no planning permit required’

Success: In preparation for last year's season in Brighton - a neighbouring suburb to Hampton - producers snapped up a parcel of land from a developer for $14.96million. The finished houses sold for almost $20million

Success: In preparation for last year’s season in Brighton – a neighbouring suburb to Hampton – producers snapped up a parcel of land from a developer for $14.96million. The finished houses sold for almost $20million

In preparation for last year’s season in Brighton – a neighbouring suburb to Hampton – producers snapped up a parcel of land from a developer for $14.96million.

The finished houses sold for almost $20million.

This year’s winners, Jimmy and Tam, took home $1,066,000 when their property hit auction – the biggest cash prize in Australian TV – after their home sold for $4,256,000.

Champions: This year's winners, Jimmy and Tam, took home a whopping $1,066,000 - the biggest cash prize in Australian TV - after their home sold for $4,256,000

Champions: This year’s winners, Jimmy and Tam, took home a whopping $1,066,000 – the biggest cash prize in Australian TV – after their home sold for $4,256,000


Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button