The Australian suffered a suspected heart attack before being discovered by friends while on holiday at Samujana Villas resort. They attempted CPR but he was later pronounced dead at hospital.
Having commentated on his country’s successful Ashes series, Warne was at the start of a three-month break and had travelled to the Thai island of Koh Samui on Thursday. Less than a week ago, he revealed he was beginning a health kick.
“They were going to go out for a drink at five o’clock,” stated Warne’s manager, James Erskine, on Australia’s Fox Sports.
“[They] knocked on his door at 5.15pm because Warnie was always on time and said, ‘C’mon you’re going to be late,’ and then realised something was wrong.
“[Friend Andrew Neophitou] turned him over and gave him CPR and mouth to mouth, which lasted about 20 minutes and then the ambulance came.
“They took him to the hospital, which was about a 20-minute drive and I got a phone call about 45 minutes later saying he was pronounced dead.”
Warne had left his friends earlier that afternoon to watch Australia’s Test match with Pakistan. Phet Boonrak, rescue team chief, described the scene after the ambulance crew arrived at the villa.
“We got a call around 5.30pm about an unconscious case,” he said. “We got there in five minutes.
“The person was unconscious and had a weak pulse, so we tried CPR and called the ambulance. His friends were so shocked. They said they had found him unconscious on the bed and moved him to the floor to attempt CPR.
“In the room, there was vomit on the floor but no sign of injuries. The ambulance arrived within 15 minutes, they took him to the hospital immediately.”
Australian officials have confirmed that they are in contact with father-of-three Warne’s friends, who will return home on Saturday evening, and family.
“I got a call around 7pm yesterday to go to Thai international hospital about the death of a tourist,” Bo Phut police lieutenant-colonel Chatchawin Nakmusik told the Guardian. “The villa manager took me to check out the scene.
“His friends told me that Shane was sleeping in his bedroom in the afternoon. Later on, when they wanted to have dinner, they went to call him but he already passed out.
“They informed the villa management and called the ambulance. They tried to do CPR but Shane was already dead.
“I am waiting for the autopsy report. If there is nothing suspicious, then the case is closed. The family will be responsible to take the body back to their home country.”