Pele recently had an operation to remove a tumour from his colon and the Brazil legend has shown he is fighting fit in footage of the 80-year-old recovering in hospital
Football legend Pele has shown he’s fighting fit as he works out from his hospital bed in a touching video recorded by his daughter.
The three-time World Cup winner punched the air with his fists as he got up a sweat on an exercise bike during his first physiotherapy session.
Daughter Kely Nascimento, who has been posting updates on her 80-year-old dad’s recovery from a hospital operation to remove a tumour from his colon, joked as he moved his legs only: “Move your arms, move your arms.”
The smiling former footballer immediately responded with a one-two jab as he exercised from his hospital room.
Kely said of her father alongside the footage, who was readmitted to intensive care over the weekend as a precaution following his treatment: “Instagram family, I saw you liked the updates so here’s the update for today.
“First time with the physiotherapist. Thanks for all your support and messages.”
She also posted a photo of him being attended to by a nurse at the Alberto Enstein Hospital in Sao Paulo.
Fans were given cause for new concern about Pele over the weekend as it emerged he had been readmitted to intensive care after his operation.
He took to Instagram after the scare to reassure followers: “My friends, I am still recovering very well. Today I received visits from family members and I continue to smile every day. Thank you for all the love I get from you,”
In previous posts he joked he was ready to play a 90-minute game plus extra time.
His daughter has also been keeping fans up to date on his recovery with a series of social media posts, insisting after his new intensive care scare alongside a picture of her with her dad in hospital: “There’s already a lot of anxiety roaming the world these days and we don’t want to be the reason for more.”
Hospital bosses have not yet said when they think Pele, full name Edson Arantes do Nascimento, will be well enough to go home after surgery to remove a tumour in his colon.
The former Santos’ striker’s colon tumour was found when he went into hospital for routine examinations at the end of August. His surgery took place on September 4 and he had been expected to leave intensive care last week.
Pele has suffered from hip problems for years and cannot walk unaided.
His public appearances were already reduced before the coronavirus pandemic.
In a first Instagram post a few days ago, Pele showed his sense of humour by writing: “My friends, with each passing day I feel a little better.
“I’m looking forward to playing again, but I’m still going to recover for as few more days.
“While I’m here, I take the opportunity to talk a lot with my family and to rest.
“Thanks again for all the loving messages. We’ll be together again soon!”
Pele sparked concern about his health in a recent Netflix documentary on his career after he was seen using a walking frame.
The former footballer, the only male player to win three World Cups, has had mobility problems since a failed hip replacement surgery in 2012.
In recent years, he has also undergone kidney and prostate procedures.
He won the 1958, 1962 and 1970 World Cups, and remains Brazil’s all-time leading scorer with 77 goals in 92 matches.