McGregor has been advised by legendary former two-weight world champion Georges St-Pierre if he wants to successfully return to the octagon after his broken leg
Conor McGregor has been warned that he must make changes to his lifestyle as he plots his return to the UFC.
McGregor is one of the biggest stars in the history of MMA, but has struggled to regain his greatest form in recent years, and is currently recovering from a broken leg suffered in his last outing against Dustin Poirier.
The Irishman is expected to return to the octagon next year, but fellow fighting legend Georges St-Pierre has warned him that he must change his lifestyle if he is to reclaim his former glory.
St-Pierre returned to the UFC after a four-year layoff in 2017, and won a world title at a brand new weight class, despite having accomplished seemingly everything during his initial run.
And if McGregor is to return to the peak of the sport, the Canadian says that he needs a big change to his approach to the sport, as his “stock is going down”.
” Conor McGregor, now his stock is going down,” St-Pierre said during an interview with Sporf. “He was very high in the beginning and I’m talking about in terms of, not in terms of money of promotion, in terms of status and in the rankings.
“Now he’s, he’s going down, his stock is going down.
“There’s been a few fights that it’s going down a little bit. There is a possibility that he might come back up but I think now things do not go well for him.
“You need to change some of his lifestyle.”
McGregor is currently training intensely for his return, but he won’t be cleared to spar for another number of months.
And in the meantime, he has been spending time relaxing with his family in a number of sunny holiday destinations including Dubai, Miami and Los Angeles.
He has insisted that he will face a world champion for their belt when he returns – which could yet see him in a fourth bout with Poirier after he challenges Charles Oliveira for the belt at UFC 269 on December 11.
Who would you like to see Conor McGregor fight in his return to the octagon? Let us know in the comments section!
In a special Twitter Q&A with fans over the weekend, McGregor said it would take until likely April for a return to action, despite promising footage from his rehabilitation sessions.
Having been asked by a fan when he is targeting to be fully healed and back in the octagon, McGregor replied “I will be full mixed martial arts sparring by April. Easily!”
Other options for a comeback opponent include Nate Diaz in a highly-anticipated trilogy, as well as recent signing Michael Chandler.
Former Bellator lightweight champion Chandler was the top 155lb fighter in Bellator when McGregor ruled the weight class in the UFC, but has narrowly lost his last two bouts.
He was inches away from beating Justin Gaethje in a fight of the year candidate earlier this month and fought for the vacant lightweight title against Charles Oliveira earlier this year.