Sports

Donald Trump’s Bedminster course stripped of PGA Championship

D

onald Trump’s Bedminster golf course has been stripped of the right to host the 2022 PGA Championship following last week’s storm on the US Capitol.

Bedminster, which hosted the women’s US Open in 2017, was due to become the first Trump-owned course to host a men’s major, but the PGA of America said taking the tournament elsewhere was “the only real course of action” following events in Washington.

Trump supporters invaded the Capitol following a rally hosted by the outgoing president as congress was voting to verify the results of November’s election, which saw Joe Biden elected to the nation’s highest office.

Seth Waugh, CEO of the PGA of America told AP: “We find ourselves in a political situation of our own making.

“We’re fiduciaries for our members, for the game, for our mission and for our brand. And how do we best protect that? Our feeling was given the tragic events of Wednesday that we could no longer hold it at Bedminster. The damage could have been irreparable. The only real course of action was to leave.”

The Trump Organization said in a statement it has “a beautiful partnership with the PGA of America and are incredibly disappointed with their decision.”

“This is a breach of a binding contract and they have no right to terminate the agreement,” the statement said. “As an organization we have invested many, many millions of dollars in the 2022 PGA Championship at Trump National Golf Club, Bedminster. We will continue to promote the game of golf on every level and remain focused on operating the finest golf courses anywhere in the world.”


Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button