Sports

Eddie Hearn explains why Joshua vs Fury was not announced at Canelo vs Saunders

Eddie Hearn has insisted that a venue and date for Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury will be confirmed in the coming week after there was some disappointment that there was no announcement at Canelo Alvarez vs Billy Joe Saunders.

Canelo stopped Saunders in the eighth round of their clash on Saturday in Texas, which Fury was present at to support his fellow countryman.

It had been hoped that the details of The Gypsy King’s hugely anticipated upcoming clash against AJ would finally be unveiled this weekend.

But speaking to Boxing Social, Joshua’s promoter Hearn promised fans would hear news in the next few days – claiming that he did not want to upstage Canelo v Saunders by revealing the fight details on the night.

Eddie Hearn has promised an announcement will be made imminently

“We thought about making some noise tonight but, I think because of the various broadcasters, it wouldn’t have gone down too well,” Hearn said.

“But I will tell you, it is 100% being announced this week.”

The next big date in the diary for boxing fans is Josh Buatsi’s fight against Daniel Dos Santos on 15 May in Manchester, and Hearn let slip that AJ vs Fury should be announced before then.

“Yes, I’ve said that a few times,” Hearn added. “I’m going one better than that; by our Manchester show…oh f***** hell I’ve put myself in it now.

“I think I am safe to say that! We had a good meeting with the governing bodies where we confirmed that position to them.

“I’m not going to say too much, but..”

Saudi Arabia is currently looking the strong favourite to host the fight, with a date in mid-August appearing the most likely option.




Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button