Evander Holyfield has claimed Mike Tyson avoided a fight with him to instead take on Roy Jones Jr.
Tyson returned to the ring last weekend for his first fight in 15 years as he and Jones hugged their way to a draw.
Holyfield, who has also been linked with a fight against Glen McCrory, now claims Tyson’s performance showed why he avoided a trilogy fight.
“My side tried to make the fight happen and we got nothing but excuses,” he said.
“Now I can see why he wanted a tune-up fight before thinking about fighting me.”
“Roy Jones was a good local opponent for Mike but a fight with me would be a global event and the only fight that anyone wants to see is a fight between us. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t make it happen.
“No more excuses. This is the fight that must happen for both our legacies. Saturday night you said you were ready to fight me, so sign the contract and get in the ring, Tyson. The world is waiting and it’s on you now. I’m ready.”
Tyson and Holyfield met twice as professionals with Holyfield stopping his heavyweight rival in their first clash.
He also won their rematch when Tyson was disqualified for biting his opponent’s ear during the bout.
Holyfield said last week that he would demand $25million to take on Tyson for a third time.
“It definitely wasn’t me,” Holyfield told the I Am Athlete podcast when asked why he and Tyson were not fighting.
“I wasn’t getting in the ring for less than $25 million.
“I beat him twice. I felt it was wrong for me to have to ask him to fight me. I don’t know (if he’s scared). I would never ask a person that.
“If they called me to fight in two days, I’d be there to fight in two days.”