Everton players are reportedly pushing for their team-mate accused of committing child sex offences to be named.
On Monday night, Greater Manchester Police confirmed an individual had been arrested on Friday pending further enquiries.
The statement read: “Officers arrested a man on Friday 16 July 2021 on suspicion of child sex offences.
“He is on police bail pending further enquiries.”
Everton subsequently confirmed they had suspended a player with a spokesman announcing the news in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
A club statement read: “We can confirm we have suspended a player pending a police investigation.
“The club will continue to support the authorities with their inquiries and will not be making any further statement at this time.”
The player cannot be named for legal reasons and strenuously denies the accusations.
But according to the Sun , some players at Goodison Park are asking bosses to end the gossip surrounding the team by naming the accused individual.
They have also been told to not contact the player with the situation becoming more and more tense.
A source cited in the report says: “The players are highly agitated, they are not happy to be dragged into it.
“Senior Everton players have been contacted day and night by other Prem stars, all seeking details.”
Earlier this week, Everton’s squad flew out to America to compete in the Florida Cup, where they will play in two matches before facing Manchester United on August 7.
The Daily Mail reported that the Toffees are providing 24/7 support to the player back in Merseyside and have moved him into temporary accommodation until an investigation is completed.
Thus far, he has not been charged with any offences and is currently on police bail pending further inquiries.
Do you want an exclusive pre-season preview of YOUR club – both in your inbox and through your letterbox? Head over here to find out more and secure your copy.