The Football Manager 2021 Winter Update is out now for players on PC and Mac, with a host of changes included.
Football Manager 2021, or FM21, is the latest football management simulation video game from Sports Interactive, which was released first as a Beta version on November 10, followed by the full release on November 24 on PC, Mac and Mobile.
Despite being developed and released during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, Sports Interactive introduced a number of major new features in FM21 including enhanced interactions, improved match day experience, recruitment meetings, end of season awards, major match engine improvements and much more.
FM21 also includes detailed simulation of Brexit and simulates the impact of Coronavirus, with first-season budgets being impacted.
And now following the closure of the January transfer window around the world, Sports Interactive have today launched the Winter Update for FM21, with up-to-date transfers, player attribute boosts, a gameplay patch and a brand new wonderkid.
Yes that’s right, as part of the FM21 Winter Update, Borussia Dortmund youngster Youssoufa Moukoko has been added to the game, and he’s got incredible potential!
Here are all the official changes to Football Manager 2021 as part of the Winter Update, which is now live on FM21 Mobile (iOS/Android) and FM21 Touch (PC/Mac/iOS/Android), and will be coming to FM21 Xbox and FM21 Touch for Nintendo Switch™ in the near future.
Football Manager 2021 Winter Update full patch notes
The Main Winter Update for Football Manager 2021 is available now, with this first part including updated squads following the January transfer window.
A Final Winter Update will follow in a few weeks, covering the latest deals from transfer windows that closed in February, including the Chinese and Russian leagues, MLS, free transfers in the EFL and more.
More than 3.7m database changes feature in the Main Winter Update and among them are tweaks to player data to reflect their real-world performances so far this season.
This first update also includes a number of fixes and improvements across various areas in the game, some of which are detailed via our changelist below.
Database and Research
- Over 3.7 million updates reflect real life, including (but not limited to) transfers, managerial changes, and player attributes
Stability and Technical
- Number of stability fixes and improvements
- Further improvements to total player count and number of newgens generated in youth intakes
- Number of improvements to keeping player promises
- Re-enabled option to ask board for Reserve/U23 team
- Improvements to Club Vision logic
- Tweaked logic to make user manager appointments more realistic
- Fixed press conference questions being asked incorrectly following certain results
- Recruitment meetings being driven more by agreed club visions
- ‘Interest in transfer’ filter player search fix for when user manager changes clubs
- Improvements to staff given non-playing staff appointment responsibilities
- Newgen staff now correctly having second nationalities set
- Improved transfer logic for MLS teams at game start
- Improved MLS teams salary cap management
Match Engine 21.6.0
- Further balancing of player ratings across both full and quick match engines
- Number of improvements and fixes to match stats, including key tackles, clear-cut chances and interceptions
- Improved goalkeeper distribution when set tactically via instructions
- Improvements to assistant advice during pre-game build up and matches
Competitions and Rule Groups*
- Removed salary cap for EFL League One and Two
- AI teams making better player registration choices in England
- Fix for user not being able to register squad changes
- Champions Cup sub rules corrected for second knock-out round
- Fixed incorrect age restriction appearing in Germany
- Improvements to MLS transfer window and roster freeze dates
- Added MLS 2021 Schedule dates and updated Superdraft process
- Fixed incorrect Serie C and D teams appearing in Italian Cup in 2020/21
- Updated structure in India for 2020-21 season
- Various Brazilian state championship updates
- Resolved Portuguese transfer window and registration window end date mismatch
- Resolved French transfer window and registration window end date mismatch
- Added assist details to the goal caption in matches
- Fix for blank speech bubble appearing when discussing broken promise with player
- Sent off player now clearly shown during team talks
- Fixed rare issue where goal captions could get stuck on screen
- Fixed team beaten in the cup incorrectly displaying as the previous winner
- Addressed issue where users unable to return to team talk after entering tactics at half-time
- Enable users to be able to search by player attributes
- Fixed warning when verifying any advanced European club continental rules file
- Fixes for mid-term draft process in Fantasy Draft
- Fix for clients being able to set highlights level outside those set by host
*In some instances, changes to competitions, rules and registrations will require starting a new game to come into effect.
As always you will need to begin a new career for the data changes and competition updates to appear, with all other changes being save game compatible allowing you to continue your pre-existing managerial careers.
The update should download automatically but if that isn’t the case, you’ll just need to quit and restart the Epic Games launcher or Steam.
*Football Manager 2021 is out now on PC, Mac, Mobile, Touch and Xbox.
The Football Manager database currently contains data on more than 800,000 individuals and 45,000 active clubs, with data sourced from their international on the ground scouting network which numbers roughly 1,000 people, among their ranks are some who are involved in football in professional capacities, including scouts and coaches.
In addition, each annual iteration of Football Manager has built-in algorithms which check for outliers and data discrepancies.
Data accuracy is further ensured by input from contributors who are active within the professional game (players, agents etc.) who provide regular feedback.