De Bruyne still has two-and-a-half years remaining on the five-year extension he signed in January 2018, but there had previously been suggestions that he could look to leave Etihad Stadium after Pep Guardiola’s side were initially handed a two-year ban from Uefa competition and later finished 18 points adrift of Premier League champions Liverpool in 2019/20 as well as falling to Lyon in the quarter-finals of the Champions League and being eliminated by Arsenal in the FA Cup last four.
However, that aforementioned suspension was successfully overturned on appeal by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in July, with City currently boasting a 100% start to their latest European campaign.
While mid-table City’s top-flight start has been somewhat underwhelming this term, De Bruyne – who also won Premier League Player of the Year and Champions League Midfielder of the Year as well as finishing second to Robert Lewandowski in the running for Uefa Men’s Player of the Year following a remarkable individual campaign in 2019/20 – says he is only too happy to stay with the club he joined from Wolfsburg in a £55million deal in 2015 and for whom he has since scored 58 goals and provided 96 assists in 232 appearances across all competitions.
“I’m happy in Manchester,” the influential De Bruyne told Flemish television network VTM Nieuws ahead of Belgium’s 2-0 Nations League win over England in Leuven on Sunday – a game in which he played the full 90 minutes and earned the free-kick that led to the hosts’ second goal.
“We are a bit in talks, not advanced. At the moment I am doing the talks myself.
“I would like to stay with the club, so it’s easy. If I didn’t want to stay, it would take someone to mediate. But when you want to stay, it’s not so difficult.”