Jack Grealish ‘smelt of alcohol and was slurring words’ during lockdown crash

Jack Grealish smelt of alcohol and was slurring his words when he crashed his Range Rover during the Covid-19 lockdown, a witness said.

The England and Aston Villa star was also unsteady on his feet and wearing mismatching slippers after the smash in March, a court heard.

Grealish careered into two parked cars in his £80,000 motor after flouting government rules to stay indoors during the first wave of coronavirus.

The midfielder had spent the night at the flat of former teammate Ross McCormack in Dickens Heath, Solihull, before the incident.

A security guard who had just arrived to start his shift saw Grealish get into his Range Rover outside the luxury block.

He said the £130,000-a-week player was wearing a blue hooded top, light shorts and odd slippers – one black and one white.

Grealish was pictured on March 29

Birmingham magistrate’s court heard Grealish reversed “at speed” across the road and hit a parked Citroen van.

He then drove along the road before reversing for a second time while “swerving left and right” before hitting a Mercedes.

The security guard said Grealish finally mounted the kerb and drove into a wall, causing damage to his Range Rover.

In a statement he said he recognised the driver as a “professional footballer who he had seen on the television”.

Some of the damage allegedly cause by Grealish

Scratches along the side of the Mercedes

Prosecutor Tinofara Nyatanga said the witness could smell “intoxicating liquor” on Grealish’s breath when he spoke to him.

She told the court: “He also said his speech was slurred and he was unsteady on his feet.”

Grealish gave his details to the security guard and left the scene before West Midlands Police officers arrived.

They tried to track down the Birmingham-born footballer but could not find him, the court heard.

Ms Nyatanga said the fact the offence was committed during the Covid-19 lockdown was an “aggravating factor”.

Grealish has recently made his way into the England first-team

Hours before the crash Grealish posted a video on Twitter urging his followers to stay indoors during the outbreak.

In a grovelling video apology the Villa skipper later said he had “stupidly agreed” to go to a friend’s house during lockdown.

Grealish – who recently signed a new contract – was fined by his club, with the proceeds going to a local hospital charity.

He did not appear in court on Tuesday because he was training at the team’s Bodymoor Heath complex.

But through his lawyer Barry Warburton he admitted a charge of driving without due care and attention.

Charges of failing to stop at the scene of an accident and failing to report an accident were dropped.

The Villa captain is due to be in court on December 15

Grealish, of Barnt Green, Worcs, also admitted careless driving following a separate incident last month.

He was clocked by police at 98mph on the M42 and tailgating other drivers before being pulled over outside Villa’s training ground.

The court heard he already has six points on his licence after being caught speeding on a motorway in 2018.

He now faces a driving ban under the “totting up” procedure when he is sentenced in person next month.

Grealish, who joined Villa when he was six, was tipped with a move to Manchester United during the summer.

But he stayed with his local club and in recent months has forced his way into the England set-up.

He was given the man-of-the-match award for his performance for the Three Lions against Iceland last week.

Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.

Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button