Kid delivering ball in tiny car fails to stop during Warrington v Castleford

A youngster failed to deliver the match ball for the Warrington vs Castleford match. He was due to drive a mini car onto the pitch and give the ball to the referee, but he had other ideas.

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Rob Burrow: Sally Nugent reveals NTA nomination

A child tasked with delivering the match ball for Warrington Wolves’ clash against the Castleford Tigers didn’t quite get it right.

The young mascot, nicknamed ‘Whizzy Rascal’, drove a mini car onto the pitch with the ball and was supposed to give it to referee James Child.

However, he had other ideas and drove past the official not once but twice as the game was momentarily delayed.

The youngster drove from the dugout and was expected to deliver the ball to the ref in the middle of the pitch, but instead hurtled past until he ended up at the opposite end if the field.

Warrington centre Toby King turned the car in the right direction, only for the mascot to drive straight past the referee yet again.

The young ball carrier loses his way before the start of the Warrington Wolves v Castleford Tigers match


Paul Currie/REX/Shutterstock)

The players watched on and couldn’t help but crack a smile as the kid seemed to make the most of his big moment.

Fans in attendance at the Halliwell Jones Stadium lapped it up with ironic cheers greeting every burst of acceleration from the young boy.

The plan to deliver the match ball in a fun and quirky way backfired and it was eventually stripped from the mascot and thrown to fullback Stefan Ratchford to start the game.

The game proved to be one to forget for Castleford, who were trounced 34-10 by the Wolves.

Tries from Matty Ashton, George Williams, Josh Charnley, Rob Mulhern and ex-Tiger Peter Mata’utia sealed an emphatic win.

It was an emotional night for Warrington coach Daryl Powell, who coached against his former side, where he spent eight years.

“On the points board you only get two points for a win in each game, I thought we were a bit fortunate last week, but today I thought it was a really good performance after a bit of a shaky start,” he told BBC Radio Five Live.

The youngster was due to give the referee the match ball but drove past him not once but twice


Paul Currie/REX/Shutterstock)

“I thought we defended well, we built the second half really well and there was some outstanding play from the boys there.

“Last week we were nervous, and this week we were excited, which is two very different leads into a game, we started a bit loose defensively but we grabbed it back and our work from the inside was awesome, and our middle unit turned up in spades.”

The Wolves secured their second straight win and will take on Toulouse Olympique in their next match on Saturday February 26, while Castleford face Hull KR next Friday.

Read More

Read More

Source link

Back to top button