Sports

Klopp confirms Phillips injury blow to disrupt defence even further

Jurgen Klopp has confirmed that Nat Phillips has become the latest Liverpool central defender to pick up an injury.

Phillips had been widely expected to leave the Reds at the beginning of the season, but his presence has ended up being crucial in the midst of the injuries to the Reds’ senior central defenders.

Realeased by Bolton as a youngster, Phillips has been carving out an unlikely Liverpool career and impressed in last weekend’s 2-0 victory over Sheffield United at Bramall Lane.

But he would appear to have picked up a knock in that game, as he was nowhere to be seen in the matchday squad that took on Chelsea on Thursday.

Asked about his changes, Klopp simply said: “Nate is out.”

Fabinho returned to the team at centre-back with Phillips out, but speaking on Wednesday Klopp said that he would love to move him back into midfield at some point this season.

Phillips played in the win over Sheffield United last weekend

“If we can find a way to bring Fab back in midfield that would be in some games quite helpful,” he said.

“The most consistent player probably this season is Gini Wijnaldum: he played the six, all the positions, but Fab in at six in some games would be absolutely helpful.

“In the past we had to bring players in almost immediately because another player left the pitch injured the game before and now we don’t have to do that for the first time.

“Is Fab ready to start or is he only ready for the bench? Then which position? These decisions are still to make.

“Stability (in defence) would be great but we changed it that often, maybe we made a habit of it.

“I heard there were people were quite critical of both of them (Ozan Kabak and Phillips) which is really picky to be honest.”




Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button