Liverpool continue their Premier League defence against Leicester City on Sunday night.
One player who will be looking to impress is Diogo Jota, who has made an impressive start to life on Merseyside.
Jota, though, has been tipped to leave the club before too long, despite only moving there this summer. We have an update on his situation here.
There is also an update on the future of a true superstar who will be available on a free transfer next summer, and a potential centre-back target who will be hot property next summer.
Here is a round up of the latest Liverpool transfer rumours.
Jota linked with shock Liverpool exit
Diogo Jota will not stay at Liverpool long, according to a former teammate from Portuguese side, Pacos de Ferreira.
Liverpool signed Jota in the summer as they looked to bolster their attacking positions, and the former Wolves star has impressed hugely, scoring seven goals in his first 11 games.
However, his former teammate, Stephen Eustaquio, says that the winger will go “higher” than Liverpool as he continues to develop.
“Jota was in Pacos, Atletico Madrid, Porto, Liverpool. He works a lot,” he told La Vanguardia via the Express .
“He is a very hard-working person, very delicate with the ball; he plays a lot. He is not going to stay there; he is going to go higher.
“I shared a dressing room with him, he was captain of the Portugal Under-21 team.”
Title rivals end Lionel Messi interest
Liverpool’s Premier League rivals Manchester City have reportedly ended their interest in Lionel Messi, despite the Argentinian having a strong connection with Pep Guardiola and being available on a free transfer at the end of the season.
Messi had previously attempted to leave Barcelona in the summer, with City the presumed landing spot, but after the Catalan club refused to let him leave on a free transfer, he relented and returned to the squad to see out the final year of his contract.
It was expected that City would reignite their interest next summer, but, per Sky Sports , that is no longer the case. The report from Spanish journalist Semra Hunter states that City harbour concerns regarding the winger’s age and wages, which currently come in at €100 million per year.
“I have it on good authority from someone close to the situation that Manchester City are not going to bid for Lionel Messi,” Hunter told Sky Sports News. “Based on the information I have, as of today, that door is closed.”
Jurgen Klopp previously ruled out a move for Messi last summer, though conceded that he would be great for the Premier League.
“Who doesn’t want Messi in their team?” he asked . “The numbers are not for us, but a good player, to be honest.”
Reds set to miss out on Upamecano
Liverpool could miss out on RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano after the defender left a hint that he could be about to move to Manchester United.
The French centre-back signed a new contract with Leipzig in the summer, despite consistent reports suggesting that he would depart. However, included in the deal is a £40 million release clause, which begins next summer.
Liverpool as well as United, and Bayern Munich have previously been mentioned as interested parties. But the player may have revealed his preference for a move to Old Trafford by liking an Instagram post that suggested that he was set to join up with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side, as reported by Sports Mole .
Such an outcome would be a blow to Liverpool, who currently have one fit centre-half available. Joe Gomez and Virgil van Dijk look set to miss much of the season, forcing the club into the transfer market to address the position.
Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.