Sports

Man City fan can’t remember Club Brugge attack after waking from coma

Guido De Pauw was attacked by rival fans after Manchester City’s Champions League group stage win and has been recovering in hospital in the days since the incident

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Guardiola Praises Foden After Man City Sink Brighton

The Manchester City fan attacked after the team’s win in Belgium has no memory of the incident, according to his family.

Guido De Pauw, 63, was admitted to hospital after the attack, which took place in Drongen, less than an hour outside Bruges.

It took place in the hours after Manchester City’s 5-1 Champions League victory over the Belgian champions, and the Premier League club have been cooperating with Belgian and Greater Manchester police.

The supporter’s son Jurgen, who was with De Pauw at the time of the incident, has given an update to the Belgian media regarding his father’s recovery, confirming Guido has woken from his coma but has no recollection of the events.



Phil Foden paid tribute to Guido De Pauw after Manchester City’s win against Brighton
(

Image:

Getty Images)




Jurgen De Pauw told HLN his father is “now regularly awake,” having fallen into a coma after the attack, which is said to have come after a “heavy blow to the head” from an individual identified by Jurgen as a Club Brugge fan.

“He tries to talk and moves well,” he added, saying “tears ran down [Guido’s] cheeks” when he was told what had happened to him.

Five suspects appeared before a judge in the Belgian city of Ghent last week, according to the MEN , with two of them remaining in custody and the other three released under strict conditions.









Manchester City and England midfielder Phil Foden paid tribute to the fan after Saturday’s win at Brighton & Hove Albion, speaking to the media with a t-shirt which read ‘we are with you Guido’, while manager Pep Guardiola and a number of City’s squad members have also shown their support.

Spanish international Rodri, said “I think the responsibility we have now is that he supports us as a City fan all this time; now it is our turn to support him in this situation.

“We have no doubts about this. We are going to push with him and hopefully he can come back [to the Etihad] soon,” he added.







While Jurgen De Pauw said the extent of his father’s injuries remains to be seen, his family is “relieved” at the progress made so far.

“The doctors call this evolution very positive,” he told HLN.

“We rely on that, especially after the first report, when it really could go either way and at a certain point looked very bad.”



Guido De Pauw was attacked after Manchester City’s win away to Club Brugge
(

Image:

Getty Images)




The three individuals released after appearing in court have been banned from attending football matches after the incident.

They also face “a ban on being in or near supporters’ cafes and a ban on participating in football fan club activities,” according to a statement from Belgium’s public prosecutors.

Manchester City’s next Champions League match, at home to Club Brugge, is scheduled for November 3.


Read More





Read More







Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button