Sports

Man Utd legend Mickey Thomas announces he’s cancer free after two-year battle

The former Man Utd, Chelsea and Wrexham star came through a two-year battle with stomach cancer earlier this year, telling Mirror Football that he was told he had just a 30 per cent chance of surviving an operation

Thomas played 110 times for Manchester United and won 51 caps for Wales

Manchester United and Wales great Mickey Thomas has shared the joyous news that he is now cancer free.

The 67-year-old came through a two-year battle with stomach cancer earlier this year, telling Mirror Football that he was told he had just a 30 per cent chance of surviving an operation.

Thomas, who also represented Everton, Chelsea and Leeds among other clubs in a long career that included two spells at first side Wrexham and 51 caps for Wales, has been in recovery since that operation, but on Wednesday tweeted: “Great result yesterday – after CT scan my results came back and now I’m cancer free. So happy.”

A popular figure with fans of almost every club he played for, fun-loving Thomas was in the United side which reached the FA Cup final in 1979, and also won the Second Division title with Chelsea in 1984.



Thomas has shared the news with his delighted Twitter followers
(

Image:

Julian Hamilton/Daily Mirror)




With Wrexham, he famously scored a free-kick in their memorable FA Cup win over Arsenal in 1992, when Thomas was 37.

Following his playing career he has regularly taken up media and ambassadorial roles, and it was during a club trip to Bangkok with Manchester United – for whom he played 110 times in three seasons – that he first became aware of the seriousness of his illness, with fellow United legend Brian Robson telling him he should see a doctor after he was unable to keep his food down.

Thomas spoke exclusively to Mirror Football in April when he revealed how frightened he had been by the cancer diagnosis.






Read More




“I could tell by the faces of the consultants that something was up,” he said.

“They said ‘we couldn’t even get the camera down you because you have a very, very large tumour’.

“They said ‘it doesn’t look very good’. I was on my own and I was shaking.

“I said ‘how long have I got?’ and the doctor said ‘I don’t know, but we have to get you in straight away’.



Thomas spoke to Mirror Football about his diagnosis in April
(

Image:

Julian Hamilton/Daily Mirror)




“My life changed from that moment. I was really scared, I thought I was going to die. I collapsed, because I was in shock.

“As I drove to the hospital that day, I looked back along the coast where I lived and thought ‘am I coming back?’”

Thomas’ operation was a success, but he then faced further complications, and returned to hospital.

“I’ve been a footballer, played all over the world, had a great lifestyle and never thought about that side of life,” he said in April.







“Then you walk into that hospital and it’s the real world – people are dying.

“Women with no hair, young kids who are going to die, it’s terrible.

“Until you see first-hand, what it does to people and families, you don’t know. It destroys them.”

Thomas’ tweet was met with scores of well-wishes from fans, with The United Stand tweeting: “Amazing news! Congrats Mickey.”


Read More





Read More







Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button