Manchester City forward Ferran Torres has been widely tipped to join Barcelona in January, and the club reportedly want help from their former boss to seal the deal
Pep Guardiola’s former club Barcelona are reportedly hoping their ex-boss can help them out in January.
The winter transfer window opens in under a month and the Spanish giants are hoping to bring in a number of players to give new boss Xavi a squad capable of vying for trophies this season.
And top of their list is Manchester City’s Ferran Torres, himself said to be keen on returning to his homeland.
But given their financial issues, the Blaugrana will need Guardiola to ‘do them a favour’ to take him to Camp Nou.
Elsewhere, the Man City boss has issued an update ahead of the transfer window opening, with one young player who’s been sent out on loan set to return.
Here are all the latest Man City transfer rumours.
Youngster could return
City youngster Luka Ilic could be set to return to the club early following his season-long loan move to Dutch side FC Twente.
Dutch news outlet Tubantia reports ‘there is a good chance that Luka Ilic will leave FC Twente during the winter break’.
It comes after the loanee, 22, has struggled to make an impact at the club having made just five appearances so far this season.
Pep issues update
City boss Guardiola has included a number of young players in his side’s dead rubber tie against RB Leipzig in the Champions League on Tuesday.
Cole Palmer, James McAtee, Josh Wilson-Esbrand, CJ Egan-Riley and Romeo Lavia could all feature in the game, with City already through to the next round.
And asked if he plans to send the young players out on loan in January, Guardiola’s response was very certain, reports the Manchester Evening News.
The City boss said: “They’ll stay here. We don’t have loans and we need them.”
Barcelona “ask for favour”
Barcelona reportedly want Pep Guardiola to “intercede” their negotiations with City’s chief executive Ferran Soriano in order for them to be able to sign Ferran Torres.
El Nacional reports that Barcelona are willing to pay €50m (£42.5m) for the winger but wish to pay in installments with €30m (£25.5m) up front and the rest paid gradually until June.
The report states that Barca president Joan Laporta is “confident that Pep Guardiola will intercede with Ferran Soriano, general manager of the English club, and former Barça player, to accept a split of the remaining 20 million between January and June”.