A Premier League footballer has been arrested on suspicion of child sex offences.
The millionaire ace – also a regular player for his country – had his home raided by police and was arrested on Friday.
The Mirror cannot name him for legal reasons.
Police have released a statement declaring that the star was arrested last week.
The statement, from Greater Manchester Police, read: “Officers arrested a 31-year-old man on Friday 16 July 2021 on suspicion of child sex offences.
“He is on police bail pending further enquiries.”
The player’s club have confirmed to Mirror Football that he has been suspended.
They said: “The Club can confirm it has suspended a first-team player pending a police investigation.
“The Club will continue to support the authorities with their inquiries and will not be making any further statement at this time.
A source told The Mirror: “This has caused a massive shock.
“Any suggestion of allegations of offences involving a child are rightly taken seriously from the point they are made.”
The footballer has earned a fortune in wages and has attracted multi-million-pound transfer fees during his career.
The insider added: “Clearly this matter must be fully investigated. Allegations of this nature will cause a considerable amount of alarm among everyone within the club, the fans, and the wider public.
“This is now a case of waiting to see where the investigation takes us.”
Get your hands on your club’s special edition 2021/22 annual. Find out more here .