Sports

Promoters of Joshua and Fury deliver promising updates on contract talks

Eddie Hearn has insisted fight fans will “get an announcement next week” regarding Anthony Joshua’s heavyweight showdown with Tyson Fury.

The Matchroom Boxing promoter has been working tirelessly to get a deal over the line and has been doing so in the face of recent scepticism from Fury’s US promoter Bob Arum, who claimed the fight was “dead in the water”.

Hearn responded by suggesting Arum had “lost the plot” and has now reaffirmed his unwavering belief the fight will take place this summer, after Frank Warren confirmed discussions for the fight were moving forward.

“You heard from Frank Warren last night, who said quite rightly, last night we received the contract from the Middle East,” Hearn told Sky Sports Box Office on Saturday .

Eddie Hearn says there should be an announcement about Joshua v Fury next week

“All sides’ lawyers have got to go through that and make sure they’re happy with it.

“But we’re all systems go. This fight is on, this fight is happening. As I told everyone last week, back and forwards with the drafts.

“I believe you’ll get an announcement next week. I don’t know what else to tell you.

“I saw Bob Arum’s comments, ‘The fight is dead’. I don’t know where that came from.

“We know what we’re doing and that’s now been acknowledged by the other side, which is nice.”

Frank Warren has confirmed Tyson Fury's camp have now received a contract offer
Frank Warren has confirmed Tyson Fury’s camp have now received a contract offer

Every Monday we deliver our verdict on the weekend’s fights and, more importantly, what’s next for the winners and losers.

Signing up is easy, just click this link, enter your email address and select ‘Boxing’ from the list.

There were fears Hearn’s plan was beginning to unravel when Arum claimed it would take months for the details of the contract to be agreed from both sides, with those behind the site bid from Saudi Arabia also doing their own due diligence.

But Hearn quickly rebuffed his comments, blasting Arum’s “irrational behaviour” and labelling him “fickle”.

Warren – who also promotes Fury – had poured doubt on the event as well earlier this week when he stated he had not received an offer, but has since moved to allay any concerns.

“We’ve had something come through from the other side,’ Warren told

. “A contract which we’re all reviewing, a proposal.

Mirror Sport is proud to stand in solidarity with everyone who faces hate and discrimination online.

Our sports social media accounts will be silent from 3pm on Friday 30 April to midnight on Monday 3 May.

We stand with football against hate.

You can still get all the latest news by visiting Mirror.co.uk/sport or get email updates on the day’s biggest stories by signing up for our newsletters.

‘”A proposed contract which we’re reviewing. And obviously we’ll look at it and hopefully we can agree terms. That’s what we all want.”

Hearn added that he expected negotiations to move to the next stage on Sunday night, before declaring: “Right now, Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua are in the absolute prime of their career.

“You will get this fight next, and you will get it for the undisputed world championship. We cannot move any quicker.”




Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button