Alvaro Morata feels Cristiano Ronaldo is content with life at Juventus amid speculation over his future despite confirming his anger at their Champions League exit.
The 36-year-old is being linked with a summer switch as his Juventus contract winds down to its final 12 months, with a return to Real Madrid among the options mooted.
Ronaldo’s time in Turin has been an undoubted success since his £100million move in 2018, though Juve’s failure to get beyond the quarter-finals in Europe’s top club competition has been a huge disappointment for the five-time Ballon d’Or winner.
With Juventus looking to trim down their exorbitant wage bill, top earner Ronaldo’s exit this summer could well be on the cards, though Morata believes his teammate is not desperate to leave.
“He’s used to playing in Champions League finals. But he would have been the same in another club,” Morata told Cadena Ser .
“It’s not a Juve problem. He’s happy with the group but he’s used to winning, so it’s normal that he’s angry [that we were eliminated].
“I think he’s happy with the team. Juventus and I want him to stay, because Juventus must have the best players in the world.”
Ronaldo’s form in Serie A has been as prolific as ever as he tops the scoring charts with 23 goals – four ahead of closest rival Romelu Lukaku of Inter Milan.
But his performances against Porto in the last-16 tie were called into question as he was largely ineffectual and failed to find the net in either leg.
“They criticised us all,” Morata added. “Of course, it bothers us. I’m the first to know about the criticism and Cristiano too. I don’t have to explain who Cristiano is, he always tries to defend the Juventus shirt.
“We are a team and I repeat, with the Supercoppa Italiana and hopefully the Coppa Italia, it won’t be a bad season.”
Every Monday we deliver our verdict on the weekend’s fights and, more importantly, what’s next for the winners and losers.
Signing up is easy, just click this link, enter your email address and select ‘Boxing’ from the list.
Real boss Zinedine Zidane added fuel to the transfer fire earlier this month when he admitted Ronaldo’s return was a possibility.
A report from Spanish publication Marca has since claimed that Ronaldo would be willing to return to Madrid if the club come calling for his services again.
However, Juve vice-chairman Pavel Nedved defended the striker and dismissed any suggestion of him leaving the club.
“For me, Ronaldo can’t be touched,” Nedved told DAZN . “He has a contract until June 30, 2022 and will stay. What happens after that remains to be seen.”