Sports

Ruiz tells Hearn he wants to step in for Fury and fight Joshua again

Andy Ruiz Jr has already shocked the world once by knocking out Anthony Joshua and the Mexican heavyweight is hoping to do the same again after messaging Eddie Hearn calling for a trilogy fight.

Ruiz was relatively unknown outside of boxing circles when he agreed to fight Joshua at Madison Square Garden in June 2019.

At 1-25 favourite, Joshua was expected to breeze past Ruiz but instead the 31-year-old produced one of the biggest shocks in boxing history by knocking down the Watford boxer four times on his way to a seventh-round stoppage.

Joshua would exact revenge six months later at the purpose-built Diriyah Arena in Saudi Arabia Diriyah to reclaim his WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO belts on points, but there is likely to be intrigue in a third fight among fans, even if they are hugely disappointed on having to wait for a superfight with WBC holder Tyson Fury.

Anthony Joshua has been promoted by Eddie Hearn and his father Barry Hearn’s Matchroom since turning professional

Negotiations over a fight which would have seen either Joshua or Fury become the first unified heavyweight champion of the world for 21 years were going on for almost a year and it seemed we were all set for an August 14 date in Saudi Arabia.

However, on Monday last week, a US judge in a court of arbitration hearing told Fury he must fight Deontay Wilder for a third time due to a previous contractual agreement between the pair.

It led to a furious exchange between Joshua and Fury on social media but the end result is the Brits are going to have to look at alternative opponents for the time being.

Terms for the Wilder-Fury trilogy fight were signed last week and the men are set to face each other on July 24 in Las Vegas.

Andy Ruiz and Tyson Fury both want to fight Anthony Joshua in 2021
Andy Ruiz and Tyson Fury both want to fight Anthony Joshua in 2021

And with the Fury fight now out of the question for the time being, Joshua has been ordered to face mandatory challenger Oleksandr Usyk by the WBO.

Joshua’s promoter Hearn has been told he only has until the end of May to agree terms with the Ukranian or purse bids will be called.

Osyk has been mandatory challenger for the WBO belt since 2019 but had been under Hearn’s promotional stable until recently.

Joshua will now need to fight Usyk or vacate the belt, unless an alternative financial agreement can be made with the former unified cruiserweight champion.

Speaking to iFL TV , Hearn said: “In an ideal world, if there’s good business to be done with Oleksandr Usyk, it’s got to be good business for him as well, that’s the fight next.

“I wouldn’t rule out any scenario at the moment for Anthony Joshua . We’ve probably got 10 days to decide what we’re going to do.”

But Matchroom chairman Hearn did not rule out the prospect of another opponent, with Joshua’s long-time friend and former opponent Dillian Whyte another option.

Hearn added: “There’s quite a few. If you’re going to America, he’s already messaged me, it’s like deja vu, Andy Ruiz.

“He messaged me on Instagram and said: ‘I’m ready, let’s do this, AJ v Ruiz three’.

“That’s a fight I think we’d be interested in, if you’re going to America, Luis Ortiz is another guy you could fight.

“If you’re doing the UK, I don’t know…Dillian Whyte, that’s a fight to make.”




Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button