Sports

Sevilla boss doubles down on Kounde transfer claim after Chelsea’s failed bid

The 22-year-old Frenchman was touted with a switch to Stamford Bridge for much of the summer transfer window, but a move failed to materialise after the two clubs failed to agree on a fee

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Saul transfer update delivered by Simeone amid Chelsea links

Jules Kounde was rumoured to be one of Thomas Tuchel’s priority targets in the summer transfer window, but Chelsea will continue their Premier League season without him after they failed to agree on a fee with La Liga outfit Sevilla.

Both Sevilla manager Julen Lopetegu i and the club’s director of football Monchi claimed that the reason behind Kounde staying put was simply down to Chelsea not making an offer the Spaniard’s deemed worthwhile.

Recent reports have claimed that Kounde is furious over the fact he will remain a Sevilla player until the January transfer window at least and is said to have ignored calls from both Lopetegui and Monchi.



(

Image:

NurPhoto/PA Images)




However, Lopetegui has reiterated that Sevilla did not deliberately block any switch for Kounde this summer.

The former Spain manager told Diario de Sevilla : “Kounde in the end has stayed because the club has decided that it was the right thing to do based on the evaluation of the offers they may have had.

“For me, as a coach, that Jules stays is positive. With the evolution he has had in these two years, it is positive, without any doubt.









“We trust that he’ll continue to grow with us and, above all, perform, which is the most important thing.”

Tuchel had wanted a central defender going into the summer, but his desire only grew stronger following the departure of Kurt Zouma – the Frenchman joining West Ham in a deal thought to be worth as much as £25m.







Just days before the transfer window closed, reports emerged that Chelsea and Sevilla had agreed a fee £42.7m before the Spaniards allegedly moved the goalposts and raised their asking price to £67m – a figure the Blues were unwilling to meet.

Speaking on transfer deadline day, Monchi offered some clarity on the Kounde situation, saying: “The only written, formal offer from Chelsea came last Wednesday [August 25], around 5pm.

Where will Chelsea finish this season? Have your say here.



Sevilla’s sporting director Monchi has explained how Chelsea did not meet their valuation for Jules Kounde (Photo by Joaquin Corchero / AFP7 via Getty Images)




“We weren’t satisfied with the offer and it was linked to Chelsea selling a player. It was a decent fee, but it didn’t meet our criteria.

“We haven’t spoken with Chelsea since Friday night [August 27]. We all decided that it was best Jules didn’t travel to Elche [for Sevilla’s most recent game].

“It’s normal for players to be affected by news of any kind. Last year he had the interest from City and now Chelsea this year.”




Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button