Sports

South Africa v England ODI series green lit after full set of negative results

The three match ODI series between South Africa and England will go ahead on Sunday after the homes side produced a full set of negative covid results.

The Proteas and their executive management had a nervous wait for the results following a third positive case in their camp and the postponement of Friday’s match at Newlands.

Another positive case from either their players, support staff or hotel staff would almost certainly have resulted in the tour being called off at a huge financial cost to Cricket South Africa.

Friday’s game at Newlands was postponed

The cash-strapped board have been walking a tightrope throughout the tour following two earlier positives that required an extra round of testing to be implemented in order to get the T20 series up and running.

And the same was the case for the ODI series following a positive test for a player who fell ill earlier in the week and was moved into isolation immediately.

England have said that any players feeling uncomfortable with the situation would not be made to play, but their doubts over the South Africa bio-bubble will have been somewhat allayed by the negative results.

Eoin Morgan is hoping to add the ODI series to the T20 trophy

Following the first two matches on Sunday and Monday at Paarl and Newlands respectively there is a further test scheduled for the South African camp on Tuesday before the final match on Wednesday.

After the series most players will return home with some heading to the Big Bash in Australia where they are required to quarantine for 14 days in a hotel room before being allowed to join up with their team.

Tom Banton pulls out of the Big Bash to avoid another biobubble

And the idea of entering another bio-bubble has proven to be too much for batsman Tom Banton to bear and he has pulled out of his deal with the Brisbane Heat.

The 22-year-old moved from bubbles in England to Dubai and then to South Africa, but has played only two meaningful games since the start of September and he’s decided he needs a break.

“It has been harder than I thought, spending so much time in the hubs and bubbles, and I came to the realisation that it wasn’t doing me much good,” Banton said.

“I know the Heat looked after me really well during the BBL last year and I was confident that they would understand when I spoke to them about going home to regroup.”




Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button