Sports

Southgate considers England formation change amid criticism over Sancho snub

England face Germany in the last 16 of the European Champioship next Tuesday, with Southgate considering reverting to three centre-backs to combat Joachim Low’s 3-4-3 formation

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Gareth Southgate is considering using a back three against Germany in their Euros showdown.

England boss Southgate has yet to decide on his formation but a tactical switch is in his mind for the crunch last 16 tie at Wembley next Tuesday.

Germany have been using a back three system, England have been struggling for creativity and goals and it could give Southgate more defensive stability and width.

Southgate went into the tournament using a traditional back four and they have yet to concede a goal so they are solid but Kieran Trippier can play as a right wing back while Luke Shaw and Bukayo Saka are options on the other side.

Kyle Walker, Harry Maguire and John Stones are all strong candidates for a back three while it would also allow England to get their attacking players into the system with the likes of Harry Kane and Raheem Sterling.

England used the system to great effect in the 2018 World Cup when they reached the semi finals and Southgate has spoken in the last year about the players being adaptable.



England’s Jadon Sancho with manager Gareth Southgate
(

Image:

Pool via REUTERS)




Southgate has already seen Mason Mount have to self isolate this week and this is a major blow because he was seen as a nailed on starter in midfield so it may be time to shuffle the pack and system.

They have yet to decide on the formation and it has been a while since they have used it but clearly they want to get it spot on for a huge test.

Meanwhile, England are facing a fight to stop highly-rated under-18s coach Kevin Betsy to join Arsenal to replace Steve Bould who has left his role as under-23s coach.









Also, Lothar Matthaus says England are wrong to snub Jadon Sancho – and says Germany would play him.

Borussia Dortmund star Sancho, who is on the brink of joining Manchester United for £70m, has yet to start a game in the Euros, has made just one substitute appearance for six minutes and did not even make the bench in the Group opener.

Sancho, 21, is a huge star in Germany, has just enjoyed another sensational season at Dortmund and Matthaus is amazed he cannot get a game.

Matthaus said: “It not only surprised me it surprised many football fans in Germany because in the last year he was one of the best players in the Bundesliga and if he is not good enough for England, we would like to give him a German passport.”







Germany legend Matthaus also insisted Jamal Musiala – who was born in Stuttgart but was eligible for England and played at under-21 level – must start at Wembley.

Bayern Munich wonderkid Musiala, 18, became the youngest German player to feature in a major tournament as a substitute in the 2-2 draw with Hungary.

Matthaus said: “He showed his quality yesterday, he performed in 10 minutes better than all of the offensive players had in the previous 80 minutes. What he did in that 10 minutes was fantastic.

“His assist for the second goal gave Germany the chance to play against England, and without him I think Germany would have gone out.”












Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button