Sports

Tiger Woods’ family say legend in ‘good spirits’ after ‘successful’ treatment

Tiger Woods’ family have issued an update on the golf legend’s condition after he was moved to a new hospital to continue recovering from his horror car crash.

Woods is now being treated at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center after going under the knife for serious injuries which threaten to end his extraordinary golf career.

The 15-times Major winner underwent surgery for two open fractures, a shattered ankle and other injuries following his crash in Los Angeles earlier this week.

And after his move to LA’s Cedars-Sinai centre on Friday, Woods’ family have announced that early follow-up treatment has been successful.

“Tiger has moved to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and received follow-up procedures on his injuries this morning,” read a tweet from the 45-year-old’s official Twitter account.

Tiger Woods’ family thanked well-wishers for their support following his car crash

“The procedures were successful, and he is now recovering and in good spirits.”

“Tiger and his family want to thank you all for the wonderful support and messages they have received over the past few days. We will not have any further updates at this time.

“Thank you for your continued privacy. – TGR.”

Woods underwent surgery at the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center after being pulled from his car following his crash on Tuesday.

Open fractures to his tibia and fibula and further injuries to his foot and ankle were stabilised with the insertion of a rod, screws and pins.

On Friday he was moved to LA’s Cedars-Sinai Medical Center – a level one trauma centre with a reputation for rehabbing athletes.

Woods was told by doctors he is lucky to be alive following the crash, and he faces a huge challenge to resurrect his trophy-laden golf career.

However, he has vowed to make a sensational return to the golf course, telling close friends: “It can’t end like this.”

Woods is now in the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, known for rehabbing athletes

He made the promise as his girlfriend Erica Herman, agent Mark Steinberg and caddie Joe LaCava all visited him in his hospital bed.

A source close to Woods added that the 45-year-old was “frustrated” and told People magazine: “He doesn’t want his career to end like this.

The unnamed source said: “This is a massive setback, and he knows it, but he’s overcome obstacles in the past and thinks he can do it again.”

Woods was already sidelined following a fifth back operation.

Woods’ car is lifted by a crane following the crash which left him with serious injuries

And it will be at least three months before he is able to put weight on his foot, according to orthopedic surgeon and former PGA Tour golfer Bill Mallon.

“With fractures of this sort in the lower extremities, it takes about three months to heal enough to fully bear weight,” said Mallon, quoted by The Sun.

Meanwhile, hospital chiefs at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center said it had been “an honour” to be entrusted with Woods’ care.

Interim CEO Anish Mahajan said on the hospital’s Twitter account: “Woods was transferred to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center for continuing orthopaedic care and recovery.

Woods had to be pulled from his car following the crash in California on Tuesday

“It was an honour to provide orthopaedic trauma care to one of our generation’s greatest athletes.”

Woods survived “what would otherwise have been a fatal crash” on Tuesday morning because the interior of his vehicle remained largely intact, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva.

The police chief added that “deputies at the time did not see any evidence of impairment” after arriving on the scene at 7.18am local time and confirmed on Wednesday that Woods was “not drunk” and that the crash was “purely an accident”.




Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button