Tiger Woods will not face any charges after the car crash which saw him suffer serious leg injuries, authorities have confirmed.
Los Angeles County Sheriff Department have confirmed the single-car incident, which has left Woods’ golf career in jeopardy, was an accident.
Deputy Carlos Gonzalez revealed at a press conference on Wednesday that any involvement of drink or drugs in the crash has been ruled out and no charges will be pursued.
“We don’t contemplate any charges whatsoever in this crash,” he said.
“This remains an accident, an accident is not a crime, they do happen unfortunately.”
Asked whether or not any drugs of alcohol tests were done at the scene, Gonzalez said: “The Deputy on the scene assessed the condition of Tiger Woods and there was no evidence of any impairment whatsoever.
“He was lucid – no evidence of alcohol, no evidence of any medication or narcotics.”
He reiterated that “he was not drunk… we can throw that one out.”
The Deputy also added that a black box in the vehicle will be pulled, suggesting “speed may be a factor in this accident.”
Photographs and bodycam footage captured at the scene will also be used for the department’s investigation.
Woods survived “what would otherwise have been a fatal crash” because the interior of his vehicle remained largely intact, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva.
The 45-year-old was “conscious and able to communicate” with emergency personnel at the scene and was taken to Harbor UCLA Medical Centre.
Woods’s vehicle, a 2021 mid-size SUV bearing the logo of his Genesis Invitational tournament, travelled “several hundred feet from the centre divider” and sustained “major damage”.
Sheriff Villanueva added: “The front end was totally destroyed, bumpers destroyed, airbags deployed – thankfully the interior was more or less intact, which gave him the cushion to survive what would otherwise have been a fatal crash.”
A statement on Woods’ website on Wednesday morning said the 15-time major winner was “responsive and recovering in his hospital room” following the operation where open fractures to his tibia and fibula and further injuries to his foot and ankle were stabilised with the insertion of a rod, screws and pins.
The severity of the injuries has inevitability raised questions about whether Woods will be able to return to competitive action, but Rory McIlroy insisted concerns should not be centred around a potential return to the course.
McIlroy said: “He’s not Superman, he’s a human being at the end of the day and he’s already been through so much so at this stage everyone should just be grateful that he’s here, he’s alive, that his kids haven’t lost their dad.
“That’s the most important thing. Golf is so far from the equation right now. It’s not even on the map at this point.
“I think we’re all sort of heading towards that day that Tiger wasn’t going to be a part of the game. I’m not saying that that was soon.
“Hopefully he comes back and is able to play, but if he’s not, I think he’ll still be a part of the game in some way, whether it’s obviously his design business and his foundation and hosting golf tournaments.
“It might be the end of seeing the genius at work with a club in his hand, but there’s still a lot of other ways that he can affect the game in a great way.”