Transfer news LIVE! Arsenal in fresh Caicedo bid, Chelsea seal signing
As January deadline day approaches, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham are among the clubs still looking to cut some big deals in the transfer market. The Gunners are pushing hard for Moises Caicedo, with talks continuing with Brighton after a first £60million bid was rejected before a very public plea from the player. Ibrahima Bamba and Martin Zubimendi continue to be linked with Arsenal, who are said to have agreed a deal to sign Declan Rice.
Over at Chelsea, they have now struck a deal for Lyon’s Malo Gusto, with a medical to follow ahead of a loan back to France. The Blues remain keen on Caicedo too, who is reportedly now considering submitting a formal transfer request. The name Enzo Fernandez still refuses to go away from their shortlist and
Tottenham are focused on pulling off a £39m deal for Pedro Porro, who wants to playing one last match for Sporting this weekend, while Nicolo Zaniolo is also a target. Keep up to date with all the latest transfer news, rumours and signings via Standard Sport’s live blog below!
Caicedo misses Brighton training
A potentially big development in the Moises Caicedo transfer saga this morning.
Caicedo confirmed last night that he wants to leave Brighton in an open letter on his Instagram.
And the midfielder has missed Brighton training this morning as he bids to force through an exit from the south coast club.
It comes after Brighton rejected a £60m bid from Arsenal for the 21-year-old on Friday. Chelsea have also had a £55m offer rejected.
Transfer expert Fabrizio Romano has confirmed Caicedo failed to turn up for Brighton training this morning and he could miss their FA Cup tie agianst Liverpool tomorrow.
Chelsea midfielder set for move
Chelsea midfielder Cesare Casadei is set to join Championship side Reading on loan.
The 20-year-old Italian joined Chelsea from Blues from Inter Milan last summer and has impressed for their Under-21s.
Casadei is now set to go on loan to gain experience and, according to the Daily Mail, will join Reading on a deal until the end of the season.
Arsenal ‘verbally agree’ Rice deal
It emerged earlier this month that Arsenal had made Declan Rice their top summer transfer target and there is some big news in their pursuit of the West Ham midfielder this morning.
Rice has “verbally agreed” a move to Emirates Stadium.
That is according to Catalan newspaper El Nacional, who say Real Madrid have missed out on Rice because is set to join Arsenal.
Rice was an alternative for Real Madrid to Jude Bellingham, who is their top target for the summer window.
England international Rice is almost certain to leave West Ham, who are battling relegation this season, and is keen to test himself in the Champions League.
Mikel Arteta is a huge fan of Rice, who is regarded as one of the best defensive midfielders in Europe.
Brighton confirm stance on Caicedo
Brighton remain unmoved in their approach to the interest in Moises Caicedo, despite the midfielder asking to be allowed to join Aesenal or Chelsea.
BBC Sport report Brighton will not sell Caicedo under any circumstances before the transfer window closes.
Arsenal have seen a £60m bid rejected but will continue talks and an improved offer is possible.
Chelsea had failed with a £55m verbal offer prior to Arsenal’s move.
It remains to be seen whether Caicedo will be in the Brighton squad for their FA Cup tie at home to Liverpool on Sunday.
Moyes provides Ings injury update as he confirms Antonio decision
West Ham maintain they will not sell Antonio this month though, a stance Moyes made clear has not changed.
“Micky is someone who has been talking about his future, rather than the Club,” the West Ham boss said.
He added: “We have no intention of doing anything. We want Mick here, playing well, scoring goals and we’ll be happy to have him.”
ICYMI: Moises Caicedo publicly demands transfer as Arsenal talks continue
Brighton midfielder Moises Caicedo has issued a public transfer request.
The 21-year-old has been the subject of offers from both Arsenal and Chelsea, who have identified him as a leading target during this month’s transfer window.
Premier League leaders Arsenal have seen a £60m bid rejected by the Seagulls but will continue talks and an improved offer is possible.
Chelsea had failed with a £55m verbal offer prior to Arsenal’s move, with Brighton holding out for a fee upwards of £75m.
The south coast club are under no pressure to sell having already allowed Leandro Trossard to move to the Emirates Stadium this month and are notoriously tough negotiators, extracting maximum value for the likes of Ben White and Marc Cucurella.
ICYMI: Djed Spence set to leave Tottenham
Djed Spence is expected to leave Tottenham on loan during the final days of the January transfer window, according to the PA.
Spence has struggled for minutes since his summer switch from Middlesbrough and is yet to make his full debut for the club.
Spurs boss Antonio Conte has regularly picked Emerson Royal and Matt Doherty over the 22-year-old, who looks likely to miss out on the matchday squad again for Saturday’s FA Cup fourth-round tie at Preston.
A number of Premier League clubs are interested in securing the services of Spence on loan but Tottenham are reluctant to allow an option-to-buy clause to be included in any deal.
Cristian Stellini, Tottenham’s assistant manager, insisted on Friday a lack of consistency in training has resulted in the defender being restricted to only six appearances this season.
“Being consistent without playing so many times is not easy but being consistent in the training is really important for a type of player like Djed,” Stellini said.
“This is the area where he can improve a lot. He improved since he is here and he had great improvement but he has to follow like everyone, like Bryan Gil, like Pape Sarr.
“They improve but the season is going on. If you don’t have many chances to play, maybe you need to be consistent in the training.
ICYMI: Gabriel Martinelli agrees lengthy new contract in major boost to Arsenal
Arsenal winger Gabriel Martinelli has agreed terms on a new contract with the club that will run until 2027.
Martinelli’s previous deal had been due to expire in 2024, but the Gunners had the option to extend it by a further two years.
The Brazilian has now, however, agreed terms on a new contract to extend his stay for another four years. The process is in the final stages and could be all wrapped up next week.
IYCMI: Chelsea agree £26m Gusto deal with medical set after breakthrough in talks
Chelsea are set to complete the signing of Lyon full-back Malo Gusto.
The two clubs have agreed a fee of around £26m but the 19-year-old will remain with the Ligue 1 side on loan for the rest of the season.
Gusto had been identified as the Blues’ leading choice to provide cover and competition for Reece James, who has seen his season decimated by injury so far.
Lyon had consistently stressed their intention to keep the teenager in France this season and have ensured manager Laurent Blanc will not be without such a key player for the rest of the campaign.
Caicedo could miss Brighton training amid Arsenal talks
The Moises Caicedo to Arsenal saga is really moving along tonight.
After that very public transfer plea, Fabrizio Romano now reports that the Ecuador midfielder could choose to skip Brighton training later ahead of their FA Cup fourth-round tie against Liverpool on Sunday as part of his bid to force through a move.
However, Brighton’s stance that Caicedo is not for sale is apparently unchanged despite his explosive statement issued on social media earlier this evening.
Others suggest that he may already be in London, with Chelsea also still interested in a deal along with Arsenal.
Stay tuned for further updates across the weekend!