The summer transfer window does not open for another week yet but all of Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham are already busy chasing new signings. Chelsea are reportedly starting the Mauricio Pochettino era by beating Paris Saint-Germain to Sporting Lisbon midfielder Manuel Ugarte, with a medical expected to take place over the coming days as the Blues also target Brighton’s Moises Caicedo.
Arsenal are pursuing a blockbuster deal for West Ham star Declan Rice, with Manchester City’s FA Cup final hero Ilkay Gundogan and Caicedo also in their sights as Mikel Arteta targets a major midfield boost. Tottenham are close to appointing Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou as their new manager, though Spurs may now have to contend with a mega £100million Real Madrid offer for Harry Kane.
Los Blancos are rivalling Manchester United and Bayern Munich for the England captain with Karim Benzema set to depart for Saudi Arabia after 14 years. United, meanwhile, are pushing hard to sign Mason Mount from Chelsea, with Rasmus Hojlund and Kim Min-jae also on the radar along with Diogo Costa. Follow all the latest transfer news, gossip and rumours with Standard Sport’s live blog below!
Arsenal could make Rice bid this week
Arsenal will bid for Declan Rice after West Ham’s Europa Conference League final appearance this week.
The Gunners have long since been considered as the front runners to sign Rice, who is widely expected to move on in a big-money deal this summer after years of speculation.
Manchester United and Bayern Munich have also been linked with the England midfielder, with suggestions last week that the latter were ready to steal a march on their rivals by making an early €100m offer following positive telephone conversations between Rice and manager Thomas Tuchel.
However, Fabrizio Romano insists tonight that nothing has changed with regards to the Rice situation, with Arsenal set to table their opening offer after West Ham face Fiorentina in the Europa Conference League final in Prague on Wednesday evening.
Ancelotti speaks after £100m Harry Kane links
Carlo Ancelotti has opened up on what he wants from any new strikers this summer amid Real Madrid links to Harry Kane.
Los Blancos are said to be preparing a blockbuster £100m offer for the Tottenham talisman having confirmed earlier today that Ballon d’Or holder Karim Benzema would be leaving the Bernabeu this summer after 14 years in order to make a big-money switch to Saudi Arabia.
Kane is far from Madrid’s only target, with the likes of Chelsea’s Kai Havertz also believed to be in their sights as Madrid actually prepare for the exits of multiple forwards in Benzema, the Paris Saint-Germain bound Marco Asensio, Mariano and Eden Hazard, whose mutual contract termination was announced on Saturday.
“We need signings in attack and we will do that,” said Ancelotti after Real closed their LaLiga season with a 1-1 home draw against Athletic Bilbao in which Benzema scored a penalty and received a standing ovation on his farewell appearance.
“We want to sign a striker that can score goals and link up well — so, a striker that plays football well.
“Benzema told us about his decision to leave the club this morning, it was really unexpected. His departure was surprising, now we have time to think about what we should do. We will sign strikers.”
Osimhen addresses future amid Man United and Chelsea links
Victor Osimhen says he “doesn’t mind” if he stays at Napoli or moves on this summer.
The Nigerian has become one of Europe’s top strikers during his time at the Stadio Diego Armando Maradona, hitting 30 goals this season to fire Luciano Spalletti’s side to their first Serie A title since 1990.
Such exploits have seen Osimhen linked with a big-money exit from Italy, with Manchester United and Chelsea said to be among the clubs interested in the player, who still has two years left to run on his current contract in Naples and is expected to have an asking price worth more than £100m.
“I don’t know, the president [Aurelio De Laurentiis] has to decide that. I love the people of Napoli, they have shown me so much love. For me, I don’t mind, the president decides and I will just go with the flow,” Osimhen told DAZN when asked if he would still be at Napoli next season after Sunday night’s season-ending 2-0 win over Sampdoria in which he registered a second-half penalty.
Chelsea demand £20m fee for Maatsen
Chelsea will demand in excess of £20million to sell Ian Maatsen this summer, with Burnley interested in keeping hold of the left-back.
Dutch Under-21 international Maatsen has shone during a season-long loan at Turf Moor in 2022-23, making 42 appearances across all competitions as a mainstay under Vincent Kompany as the dominant Clarets stormed to the Championship title and an immediate return to the Premier League.
Burnley are keen to retain his services preferably on a permanent transfer, though will be relucant to meet Chelsea’s considerable asking price.
Maatsen has just one year remaining on his current contract at Stamford Bridge but could yet sign an extension before joining Burnley on loan again next term.
Tottenham close in on Ange Postecoglou appointment
Tottenham are closing in on the appointment of Ange Postecoglou as their new manager.
A deal to take the Treble-winning Celtic boss to north London could be completed this week as Spurs zero in on their top target, Standard Sport understands.
Postecoglou has emerged as the leading contender to become the long-term successor to Antonio Conte, having suitably impressed chairman Daniel Levy and incoming chief football officer Scott Munn.
Tottenham were expected to ramp up their interest in the Australian after Saturday’s Scottish Cup final, which Celtic won 3-1 against Championship side Inverness Caledonian Thistle to secure their fifth domestic Treble in the last seven seasons.
They look set to make a formal approach for Postecoglou this week, with the 57-year-old currently on a 12-month rolling contract in Glasgow, where has has won back-to-back league titles and five major trophies across two seasons after leaving Japanese club Yokohama F. Marinos to succeed Neil Lennon at Parkhead in June 2021.
Man United learn price for ‘next Haaland’ Hojlund
Manchester United have learned the price it would take to sign Rasmus Hojlund this summer.
The Atalanta starlet, 20, is one of several top strikers being monitored by Saturday’s beaten FA Cup finalists as they look to make a major upgrade for next season.
The Daily Mirror report that United would need to pay £43m to land Danish international Hojlund, who has netted 15 goals in a breakout season in Serie A and earned favourable comparisons to a certain Erling Haaland.
Tottenham want Celtic star Kyogo to follow Postecoglou
Ange Postecoglou could take Celtic sensation Kyogo Furuhashi south with him to Tottenham, reports claim.
The Japanese striker has been prolific since arriving in Glasgow from J1 League side Vissel Kobe in the summer of 2021, scoring 54 goals in 83 total appearances including 34 in their domestic Treble-winning campaign.
The Sun claim that Spurs want a deal for Kyogo to follow hot on the heels of the expected appointment of prospective new boss Postecoglou.
Tottenham are reportedly willing to pay between £25m-£30m for the player, who has two years left on his Celtic deal and is said to be attracting interest from other Premier League clubs.
Manuel Ugarte to Chelsea latest
More details now on Chelsea’s pursuit of Manuel Ugarte.
Fresh reports from Portuguese outlet Record earlier today claimed that the Sporting Lisbon midfielder would arrive in the UK in the coming days to undergo a medical and sign a contract lasting for at least six years.
Chelsea are said to have wrapped up a deal worth €60m, though rivals PSG may not be ready to admit defeat just yet.
CBS Sports now have fresh information on the Ugarte saga, countering claims that the Uruguayan international is a “new” target for the Mauricio Pochettino era.
Ben Jacobs reports that there has been a long-term plan and effort to recruit Ugarte, led by co-sporting directors Paul Winstanley and Laurence Stewart.
Tottenham close to appointing Postecoglou
Tottenham’s appointment of Ange Postecoglou is now very close, reports claim.
The Athletic say that a deal for the Australian to become Antonio Conte’s long-term successor in north London is expected to be finalised in the days ahead.
Postecoglou is on a 12-month rolling deal at Celtic, who will be at pains to lose him after so much success experienced in his first two seasons at the club – including a domestic Treble sealed in the Scottish Cup final at Hampden Park on Saturday.
Tottenham ramp up Postecoglou chase
Ange Postecoglou to Tottenham is getting closer.
The Telegraph report this evening that Spurs will make an official approach to Celtic over their domestic Treble-winning manager this week.
Fabrizio Romano goes one stage further, claiming that fresh talks between Tottenham and Creative Artists Agency – Postecoglou’s representatives – are scheduled to take place over the next 24 to 48 hours in order to seal the deal.
He adds that a contract is almost sorted, with only the final details left to be agreed.