elcome back to the Evening Standard’s LIVE coverage of all the latest transfer news as clubs plan ahead for the January window.
The domestic summer market finally closed for Premier League clubs in its entirety on Friday, 16 October, with the international window having already closed on October 5.
Top-flight clubs utilised the initial eleven days of negotiation with EFL clubs to good effect, as West Ham sealed a potential £30million deal for Brentford’s Said Benrahma, while Tottenham nabbed Jose Rodon from Swansea and Crystal Palace brought in Jack Butland to strengthen their goalkeeping options.
As for deals during the main window, Chelsea spent over £200m on the likes of Kai Havertz and Timo Werner, Manchester United missed out on Jadon Sancho but signed Edinson Cavani, Arsenal recruited £45m Thomas Partey among others and Tottenham brought in the likes of Gareth Bale and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg.
Keep up to date with all the latest news, deals and gossip below, including the very latest on reports that Man United could replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer with Mauricio Pochettino…
This weekend get a £10 free bet with Betfair, when you bet £10 on a Same Game Multi on the Premier League.
Terms: Min £10 Same Game Multi bet on any EPL match this Fri- Sun. Free bet valid for 72 hours, awarded at bet settlement. Excludes cashed out bets. T&Cs apply.
Man United ‘approach’ Pochettino over Old Trafford job
In case you missed it yesterday, it is now being reported following back-to-back defeats by Arsenal and Istanbul Basaksehir that Manchester United have approached Mauricio Pochettino over the possibility of replacing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in the Old Trafford dugout.
The Manchester Evening News claim that United – currently languishing 15th in the Premier League – have approached representatives of Pochettino, who has been out of work since being sacked by Spurs after five years in November 2019.
It is said that Pochettino’s ambition to manage the club remains intact…
Eriksen back to Tottenham?
Tottenham may consider bringing Christian Eriksen back to the club in January, according to Calciomercato.
Eriksen has struggled to impress at Inter Milan, scoring just once in 22 league games.
Now reports in Italy claim Danny Rose and Dele Alli could be involved in a swap deal.
That would be quite something.
Pepe signs new Porto contract
He’ll be 40 by the end of this one.
Man United make contact with Pochettino
The inevitable is happening.
Manchester Evening News report that Manchester United have made contact with Mauricio Pochettino’s representatives as the pressure on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer mounts.
Pochettino has long been a target for United and executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, and the chances of a hiring is only heightening with the club struggling on the pitch.
Paratici coy on Pogba Juventus return
Juventus director Fabio Paratici has not ruled out a potential return to the club for Paul Pogba.
Pogba initially joined the Bianconeri after leaving Manchester United in 2012, winning four Serie A titles before returning to Old Trafford from Turin four years later in an £89m deal.
Speculation over a second United exit for the French midfielder has only increased following his latest penalty gaffe against Arsenal on Sunday, with Juve mentioned along with Real Madrid as a potential next destination.
“Paul Pogba as our target? In this moment he’s a Man Utd player, it’s difficult to think about transfers,” Paratici said.
“We love Pogba, he’s a fantastic player but it’s too early to talk about our targets for the future”.
Mourinho: Ndombele has ‘huge potential’
Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho says Tanguy Ndombele is only scratching the surface of his “huge potential”, writes Dan Kilpatrick.
From being an outcast last season, Ndombele has established himself in Mourinho’s first team and he could start Thursday night’s Europa League tie against Ludogorets after the manager said Spurs missed the midfielder in the defeat at Royal Antwerp last week.
Mourinho said: “In this moment, I’m happy [with him]. I still think he can do better. His potential is huge.
“Is he doing well? Yes. Am I happy with him? Yes, I’m happy with him but I still think that he can do more.”
Barcelona weigh up Ndombele bid
He’s having a far better season for Tottenham thus far, but Tanguy Ndombele finds himself subject to transfer rumours again this week.
Reports – seemingly orginating from Mr Romano again – suggest that Barcelona could bid for Spurs’ record signing next summer.
However, it seems extremely unlikely that Tottenham would allow Ndombele to go, with the Frenchman now having established himself in the team and Jose Mourinho talking up his “huge” potential.
Liverpool and Man City in Alaba fight
David Alaba’s future has been subject to plenty of uncertainty recently.
The Austrian is out of contract in Bavaria at the end of the season and negotiations over a potential extension look to have broken down in somewhat messy fashion.
Alaba would be a huge free agent addition for practically any big club in Europe next summer and Spanish outlet AS now report that Liverpool and Manchester City are among the sides hoping to convince him to join.
However, the likes of Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain are also rumoured to be keen on the two-time Champions League winner.
Man United missed out on Diaby
Amad Traore is set to join Manchester United from Atalanta in January, but it seems that the Ivorian teenager wasn’t the club’s first-choice option in the winger department.
According to German outlet Sport Bild, United initially pushed to sign Bayer Leverkusen’s Moussa Diaby.
They were even said to be willing to pay £45m for the French Under-21 international, but Leverkusen rebuffed those advances.
Chelsea to bid for Rice?
Chelsea are likely to revisit their interest in Declan Rice in January.
The versatile England midfielder was a key target for the Blues over the summer, though ultimately he remained in east London and did not form part of Frank Lampard’s expensive recruitment drive.
However, transfer specialist Fabrizio Romano believes that pursuit looks poised to be resurrected during the January window.
“Declan Rice would still love to join Chelsea, I think they would try again for him in January, they already have an agreement on personal terms with him,” the Italian said on his Here We Go podcast, via The Sun.