elcome back to the Evening Standard’s LIVE coverage of all the latest transfer news as clubs plan ahead for the January window.
The domestic summer market finally closed for Premier League clubs in its entirety on Friday, 16 October, with the international window having already closed on October 5.
Chelsea spent over £200million in the summer window, and signings like Kai Havertz, Timo Werner and Edouard Mendy are settling in well at Stamford Bridge with the likes of England’s Jude Bellingham potentially next on the wishlist.
Arsenal arrivals such as Thomas Partey and Gabriel Magalhaes are also looking good – though highly-rated Red Bull Salzburg midfielder Dominik Szoboszlai is still said to be a priority target – and Tottenham fans are optimistic that Gareth Bale will become a key player as Spurs target silverware and further additions to Jose Mourinho’s squad in January.
Manchester United are struggling after failing to sign top targets like Jadon Sancho – but the Red Devils have been linked with a move for the Borussia Dortmund and England forward again, while talk of a sensational Cristiano Ronaldo return seems far-fetched but intriguing nonetheless. United’s neighbours Man City could also be on the hunt for Lionel Messi if the wantaway Barcelona star has not changed his mind by January.
Keep up to date with all the latest news, deals and rumours below…
Bayern’s Sule ‘dreams of Man United’
Manchester United’s need for further defensive reinforcements has been made plainly clear during a difficult start to the 2020/21 campaign under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Could their hopes soon be answered by a new arrival from the Bundesliga?
According to Bild’s Christian Falk, Bayern Munich and Germany centre-back Niklas Sule “dreams” of playing for United one day.
It might be wise for United to try and make that dream a reality in the not too distant future!
Arsenal exploring Szoboszlai deal
Arsenal appear firmly on the trail of Red Bull Salzburg’s creative midfielder Dominik Szoboszlai.
The Mirror report that the Gunners are looking at ways to structure a deal for the Hungarian international, who has built quite a reputation for himself in the Austrian Bundesliga aged just 20.
It is said that Arsenal are looking to pay the player’s £23m release clause in installments over a three-year period, rather than giving it all up front in one payment.
Solskjaer responds to Deschamps’ Pogba comments
Didier Deschamps said during the international break that Paul Pogba cannot be happy with his playing time and positioning at Manchester United, but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer brushed aside such talk today.
“Paul’s had a difficult season last season,” he said. “He’s had Covid now (earlier in the season). I think those three games he played for France helps both us and Paul, and it helped France. He gets a rhythm, he gets his fitness.
“I’ve spoken to Paul and he certainly felt towards the end of the Portugal game and definitely the end of Sweden game he felt stronger for it.
“He played well, they qualified. I think he’s only going to improve. Paul is, as I’ve said, a very important player and very important person for us.
“To have him in form and happy is going to be vital for the run that we can hopefully put together now.”
United, PSG, Madrid chasing Camavinga
Spanish outlet Macca say Manchester United are in a three-way tussle to sign French wonderkid Eduardo Camavinga.
The report claims that United, PSG and Real Madrid are the frontrunners in the race to sign the 18-year-old Rennes star, who is expected to leave the club next summer.
Szoboszlai to Arsenal latest
There are more reports around this morning suggesting that Hungarian sensation Dominik Szoboszlai is a big transfer target for Arsenal.
The Athletic report that Gunners owner Stan Kroenke is set to pump more cash into the club over the next 18 months in a show of faith in manager Mikel Arteta, as he did with the signing of Thomas Partey this summer.
The Gunners’ creative problems are well documented and with a summer move for Houssem Aouar having failed, it appears attentions could turn to Szoboszlai.
Giroud to leave Chelsea?
France boss Didier Deschamps hinted during the international break that if Olivier Giroud wants to play at the Euros, he may need to leave Chelsea.
Giroud’s agent, Michaël Manuello, has told Foot Mercato that while the striker is looking to stay at Stamford Bridge right now, they will sit down and assess his situation in around a month before deciding what the future holds.
“Between now and January, there’s 11 games for Chelsea to play. Olivier belongs to his club, he’s focused on the competition and we’ll see in mid-December to decide one way or another”.
United and Liverpool get Upamecano boost
Manchester United and Liverpool’s hopes of signing RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano have been bolstered by reports in German outlet Bild that Bayern Munich will not be able to afford the Frenchman.
Upamecano is expected to leave Leipzig either midway through the current season or at the end of it, with the club expected to make a decision on his future in January.
Arsenal agree Rekik deal
Arsenal have agreed a deal to sign Hertha Berlin centre-back Omar Rekik, according to football.london.
The report claims that the Gunners came close to signing the 18-year-old on deadline day but ran out of time. Instead, the deal will be completed in January, though Rekik may be loaned back to the Bundesliga club for the remainder of the season.
Kepa may take pay-cut to keep Euros dream alive
Chelsea goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga is facing the prospect of having to take a pay cut to reignite his career.
The Spain international is desperate to be part of next summer’s European Championships but runs the risk of missing out after being ousted as Chelsea’s No1 by Edouard Mendy.
Frank Lampard has made it clear that summer signing Mendy is now his first choice – leaving Kepa a £71million back-up.
It means a January move is likely to be his best chance of challenging David de Gea in the Spain squad.
That could have to be a loan deal in light of the depressed transfer market post coronavirus – as well as cut in his wages, which are reputed to be in the region of £150,000-a-week.
Balotelli in talks with… Barnsley?
Now this would be a turn up. Sky Sports say that Mario Balotelli is in talks over a possible return to English football – with Championship side Barnsley.
The report claims there have been talks between representatives of the Italian – who is a free agent after leaving Brescia – and Barnsley co-chairmen Chien Lee and Paul Conway.