Welcome back to the Evening Standard’s LIVE coverage of all the latest transfer news following a dramatic summer window.
Clubs in the UK had until 5pm on Friday October 16 to complete signings in the extended domestic window, but the big, international moves had to be completed by 11pm BST on Monday October 5.
Tottenham followed up an impressive summer of deals with an £11million move for Swansea centre-back Joe Rodon, while West Ham sealed Brentford’s Said Benrahma on an initial loan deal after a tense day of negotiations.
As for deals during the main window, Chelsea spent over £200m on the likes of Kai Havertz and Timo Werner, Manchester United missed out on Jadon Sancho but signed Edinson Cavani, and Arsenal nabbed £45m Thomas Partey among others.
Good morning and welcome back to Standard Sport’s LIVE coverage of the latest transfer news, deals and rumours.
The summer international and domestic windows may now be closed, but planning is already well under way for the January market…
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
Barkley on target again for Villa
What a start Ross Barkley has made to his Aston Villa career. The Chelsea loanee put in a terrific performance in the 7-2 thrashing of Liverpool, opening his account for his new club, and scored a stoppage time winner to keep up the Villains 100% start to this season with victory over Leicester tonight.
“We have seen Ross Barkley do that enough times for Everton and Chelsea so we are pleased he did it for us today,” Villa boss Dean Smith said.
“It was touch and go whether he started today. He had a knock to the knee but a great goal and a real battling performance by the whole team.”
Bale debut disappointment
Gareth Bale’s second Tottenham debut didn’t quite go to plan. The Welshman came on as a second-half substitute with his side 3-0 up and cruising against West Ham and then watched as they crumbled, the Hammers scoring three times in the last ten minutes to earn a point.
Bale also missed a glorious chance to make it 4-2 late on, before Manuel Lanzini’s stunning equaliser.
MAN UTD NEWS
Cavani joins United training
He wasn’t available to make his debut yesterday because he was still in quarantine, but Edinson Cavani is now in the mix at Manchester United and trained with his new teammates earlier on today.
Could we see him feature in Paris on Tuesday?
MAN UTD NEWS
United ‘misjudged’ in Sancho bid
Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke says Manchester United ‘misjudged’ their efforts to sign Jadon Sancho this summer.
The Englishman was widely expected to head to Old Trafford but Dortmund stood firm over their asking price and United failed to meet it.
“Perhaps a club that wanted him misjudged it and believed we were ready to compromise,” Watzke told ZDF.
“We had a clear line, and we will have it next summer.”
Bale on Tottenham bench
As expected, Gareth Bale is named among the Tottenham substitutes for this afternoon’s clash with West Ham as Jose Mourinho makes two changes to the side that started the thrashing of Manchester United before the international break.
Eric Dier and Erik Lamela are the two men who miss out, with Toby Alderweireld and Steven Bergwijn come in.
MAN UTD NEWS
Mbappe looking forward to Cavani reunion
PSG forward Kylian Mbappe has been looking ahead to a possible clash with former teammate Edinson Cavani when the Champions League gets underway this week.
The French champions have been drawn in a group with Manchester United, who Cavani joined as a free agent on deadline day earlier this month, and the pair meet in Paris on Tuesday.
“Not at all, he is in a different team now,” the Frenchman told TF1 when asked if it would be strange coming up against his former teammate.
“I wish him the best. We are going to play against him and try to beat him.”
Brighton have signed former Arsenal and Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck on a one-year deal.
The 29-year-old, who started his career at Old Trafford, spent last season at Watford where he scored three goals in 20 appearances as the Hornets were relegated from the top flight.
Brighton head coach Graham Potter told the Seagulls’ website: “We are delighted to have Danny joining us. He will complement our existing striking options.
“He’s got an undoubted pedigree, and he is quick and technically very good. He will add to our attacking threat and we are thrilled to add another player of his experience and quality.”
MAN CITY NEWS
Man City manager Pep Guardiola believes he can rely on new defenders Ruben Dias and Nathan Ake because the pair “do not make mistakes”.
The summer arrivals lined up along side each other in Saturday’s 1-0 win over Arsenal in the absence of Aymeric Laporte, though Ake was largely deployed at left-back with Kyle Walker taking a central role in a fluid City line-up.
City paid a reported £62million to bring in Dias from Benfica last month, the big-money defensive signing that was arguably needed last summer following the exit of Vincent Kompany. Guardiola said it was meaningless to try to compare the 23-year-old Dias with the long-time club captain, but is happy with his first two outings in a City shirt.
“It will be a big mistake to compare him to Vincent,” Guardiola said. “Vincent was unique. But he is 23. We had both the defenders, Nathan and Ruben today, and the reason they play is they don’t make mistakes.
“We suffered a lot last season with mistakes. We still have to improve but we have a feeling we can really help them to adapt and create more of the spaces we need. It will need time and training.
“(Against Arsenal) was a difficult game. Ruben is the type of leader, a guy who in a short time will lead the game. We are delighted so far with what we have seen.”
Chelsea were big movers in the summer window, but their defence still looks a big issue for Frank Lampard. The Blues have let in three goals in two of their last three League outings, drawing 3-3 with West Brom and Southampton.
Chelsea wanted Declan Rice in the summer, and ESPN reports that the Blues are ready to return in January if West Ham soften their stance.
The Hammers were said to want £80m for Rice and though that figure may come down a little, they will not lose one of their brightest young players on the cheap.
MAN UTD NEWS
Paul Pogba’s Manchester United contract has reportedly been extended until summer 2022, but that is no surprise given the Red Devils had the option to prolong it by a year.
That doesn’t necessarily mean Pogba won’t be sold; just that United won’t lose him for free next summer. However, The Sun reports that Real Madrid midfielder Fede Valverde is a target for United, and a swap deal could be on the cards.
22-year-old Valverde has a £640m release clause at Real, but if Zinedine Zidane wants to finally link up with Pogba, a swap could suit all involved.
Mikel Arteta has told Arsenal fans it will take time to see the best from Thomas Partey as he gets up to speed with his new team-mates.
The 27-year-old international was officially unveiled at Arsenal earlier this week, and there had been hope among Gunners supporters that Partey would make his debut against Manchester City on Saturday.
Partey was involved, but it was only a late cameo appearance at the £45m midfielder came on with eight minutes of the game remaining as Arsenal slipped to a 1-0 defeat.
“We will see how quickly we can make it with him,” Arteta said after the game. “I think we have to respect that process and that timing for him because he only trained for a day really and there’s a lot of new information and different game models for him to understand, and we have to respect that.
“But I think when he came on he looked good.”
The summer window may only just be over, but the window window opens on January 1 – and there is already plenty of news, gossip and rumours swirling.
Our coverage is over for today, but join us tomorrow for more LIVE transfer news, gossip and rumours.
Mikel Arteta claims he could deploy Willian as a makeshift striker more regularly after the Brazilian was given a false No9 role in defeat to Manchester City.
“We need to have the versatility to play in different formations occupying different spaces. I believe it was a game for him the way City play, attracting spaces, and he was convinced as well.
“It was obviously hard to leave two strikers on the bench, but it was a tactical decision. In some moments it worked better than others but he will grow and understand that position as we use him in other occasions, perhaps with different players.
“I am happy with the game he had.”
So, despite a £200m+ spending spree this summer, things are not quite working out for Chelsea – particularly in defence.
Once again, Frank Lampard’s defence cost him as the Blues twice threw away a lead to draw 3-3 with Southampton at Stamford Bridge.
Timo Werner, who scored twice, said of the result: “I don’t know if we have a problem but the last three games we concede six goals and it is not where we want to be, to compete for titles.
“In Germany we always say defence wins titles. If we concede so many it is hard to win games and win titles.”
Chelsea’s summer signing Timo Werner has been under a bit of pressure to get up and running in terms of goals, but the Germany international has found the net today with a fine strike against Southampton.
Blues fans will be hoping it’s the first of many…
PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS
A couple of points to note regarding today’s 3pm kick-off at Stamford Bridge…
As for the Blues, summer signing Hakim Ziyech is among the subs, and could finally make his debut off the bench at some point.
WEST HAM NEWS
Moyes: Benrahma can give us ‘extra dimension’
David Moyes says he is looking for new signing Said Benrahma to replicate his Brentford goalscoring form at West Ham after completing his deadline day move.
Benrahma scored 17 goals and racked up 9 assists as part of Brentford’s ‘BMW’ front three last season, alongside winger Bryan Mbeumo and striker Ollie Watkins, who has already made his mark in the top flight this season with Aston Villa.
“What I’m looking for is, he scored 17 goals last season, the season before 14 goals and something like 10 assists,” said the Hammers boss.
“So you’re asking me what I want him to bring to the club? I want him to bring these goals and these assists to the club.”
Koeman: I wanted Wijnadlum
Barcelona boss Ronald Koeman has confirmed that he wanted to sing Gini Wijnaldum from Liverpool this summer, but was forced to prioritise in other areas.
Wijnaldum excelled under Koeman when he was in charge of the Dutch national side and was heavily linked with a move to the Nou Camp during the transfer window.
However, the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic meant Koeman had to spend in positions where the squad’s needs were most pressing.
“Gini has a great sense of space, he can get to the goal fantastically well from midfield, he could really add something to the team,” he told Algemeen Dagblad.
“But the financial situation was known to the club. His position ultimately had less priority than, for example, the right-back or the striker position.”
When does the ‘winter window’ open?
The January transfer window opens on Friday January 1, 2021, and will run until Sunday January 31.