Sports

Uefa confirm Tottenham-Rennes clash is off amid talks over new date


The European governing body said the game had been postponed and that talks were ongoing with both clubs over a new date for the fixture.

Uefa rules state that all group games must be completed by December 31 but Spurs have no free midweeks before the turn of the year, with a packed festive schedule including a Carabao Cup quarter-final against West Ham on December 22 – the day of Rennes’ last fixture before their two-week winter break.

Spurs want to play the fixture, particularly as forfeiting would likely see them exit the competition and incur a financial penalty. The club are also continuing talks with the Premier League about postponing Sunday’s match at Brighton.

The decision followed more positive cases at the club over the course of Wednesday afternoon – not thought to include first-team players.

“[I am] very upset, very upset because the situation is serious and it is contagious. There is a big infection and now we are a bit scared because tomorrow we don’t know what happens,” Conte said.

Conte left the training ground at around 3pm and Spurs subsequently decided not to play following internal discussions at the club and talks with Uefa.

Rennes, who arrived at London City Airport on a private plane at 7.30pm on Wednesday, reacted with fury to Spurs’ statement, accusing them of making a “unilateral decision which has not been confirmed by Uefa in any way”.


Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button