Sports

UFC legend Anderson Silva explains how he missed out on Logan Paul fight

Silva and Paul were reported to be working on a fight in Dubai for September 19, but evidently plans fell through as the former UFC champion now faces Tito Ortiz on September 11

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Anderson Silva explains why he’s not fighting Logan Paul

Anderson Silva has bemoaned he “couldn’t control” talks with Logan Paul’s team for a fight that was planned between the pair for later this year.

Silva and Paul were working on putting together a fight in Dubai with Bellator fighter and notorious MMA troll Dillon Danis leaking September 19 as the proposed date.

But talks fell through as Silva announced last week that he would be fighting fellow UFC legend Tito Ortiz on the undercard of Oscar De La Hoya’s comeback against Vitor Belfort on September 11.

And speaking at a press conference yesterday, Silva said that he was unable to control what happened outside the ring, but was happy to have organised a fight with Ortiz having lost out on the Paul bout.

“Let’s see, everything is possible, I’m waiting for the next challenge,” Silva said when asked if Paul would be his next opponent after fighting Ortiz, against whom he is a huge favourite given their backgrounds.



Anderson Silva was in talks for a fight with Logan Paul, but they appear to have fizzled out




Ortiz, while the bigger and more powerful fighter, was known more for his wrestling and elbows than his stand-up fighting ability during his MMA career, while Silva was a respected striker.

And the Brazilian proved his credentials with a stunning upset win over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr in Mexico earlier this summer, which was reportedly going to set up a bout with the elder Paul brother.

“I couldn’t control that situation,” Silva replied when asked what happened between he and Paul.

“I just have control over one thing and that’s training hard and continuing to listen to my coach and learning more and more techniques and training with my partners.

“The other side is something I can’t control, but this has happened and I am so happy that I am prepared for this fight, so if [the Paul fight] doesn’t happen that’s good too.”

Paul’s manager Jeffrey Levin confirmed to ESPN last month that talks were at an early stage between the two parties, and Danis’ controversial Instagram leak opened up the possible September date.







But despite the bout not happening on the initially planned date, Silva is not ruling out a future fight down the line with the YouTube star, who is 0-1 as a professional and recently went the distance with Floyd Mayweather in an exhibition.

“I think everything is possible right now,” Silva said when asked how far the talks had gotten. “Everything is brand new, you know?

“The shows for the fans are commpletely different right now and the people are watching the YouTubers fighting MMA guys or boxing guys.

“I think guys like me or Vitor [Belfort] or Tito are going to continue doing our best to give a great show for fans, I’m waiting for the next challenge.

“Maybe this happens with Logan Paul but let’s see.”

Paul is now back in his Puerto Rican training base after what he referred to as a months-long drinking and partying “bender” that saw him travel to London, Madrid, Ibiza, Dubai and the Amalfi Coast.

He recently returned to sparring, and reportedly looked sharp despite his lay-off as he helps his brother Jake prepare for his upcoming bout with former UFC champion Tyron Woodley later this month.








Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button