‘Unprecedented’ referee blunder results in surreal stoppage time scenario

Whistler Alan Young was guilty of a big mix-up during the League Two clash on Saturday afternoon between Leyton Orient and Hartlepool United

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Shocking moment a Brazilian player kicks a referee

The League Two clash between Leyton Orient and Hartlepool United on Saturday might well go down as a pub quiz question in years to come.

The game was already high on drama after it finished 5-0 to Orient, with Aaron Drinan hitting a hat-trick for the hosts.

But it was an incident just after the restart which perplexed almost everyone inside the ground.

It stemmed from the first half, when the fourth official Samuel Ogles held aloft the board to indicate four additional minutes were to be played at the end of the half.

However, referee Alan Young seemingly did not process that and instead blew his whistle after 45 minutes.

It was a day to forget for referee Alan Young

Thinking nothing more of it, and with Orient already 2-0 up, both teams went down the tunnel.

Upon their return however they were stunned to be told by Young that they had to play out those four minutes.

That led to a bizarre 240 seconds where the teams attacked the same direction as they had done in the first half – before swapping ends and starting the second half.

Orient club director Matt Porter tweeted at the time: “I’ve seen some strange things at Leyton Orient but this is unprecedented! Having forgotten to play first half injury time, referee Alan Young brought the players back out to play the four minutes and they’ve now swapped ends and started the second half straight away!”

Leyton Orient sealed a 5-0 win over Hartlepool.

The mix-up did little to knock Orient off their stride however. Kenny Jackett’s side added a further three goals to seal a thoroughly convincing victory.

Despite the exploits of Drinan, there was only one topic on most people’s lips at full-time.

“After the game I spoke to the referee and he said he’s had a bad day but not as bad as my day let me tell you,” said Hartlepool boss Dave Challinor.

Orient’s assistant manager Joe Gallen added: “The ref made a mistake, he was man enough to own up to it and he tried to find a solution.

“Hartlepool wanted the additional four minutes replayed which was absolutely fine by us and we just carried on.”

The result sees Orient move level on 23 points alongside Hartlepool. The O’s are sixth whilst Pools drop to tenth, as a result of the goal difference swing.

Read More

Read More

Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button