Sports

Willian ‘eyes David Beckham link-up’ at Inter Miami to end Arsenal nightmare

Willian is keen to end his Arsenal nightmare by securing a move to David Beckham’s Inter Miami, according to reports.

The Brazilian was a key member of the Chelsea squad during his six years at Stamford Bridge but he has struggled to make an impact at Arsenal.

Willian was given a three-year contract worth a staggering £220,000 per week by Arsenal when he joined on a free transfer despite the forward turning 32 last August.

And it has proven to be a poor bit of business from the Gunners, with Willian only scoring one goal and creating seven assists in 37 appearances in all competitions this season.

Willian has endured a tough first season at Arsenal

And The Sun claims Willian is keen to move to the MLS and link up with Beckham’s Inter Miami, who are managed by his good friend Phil Neville.

Neville is said to be keen on Willian but might struggle to afford the player, with Gonzalo Higuain said to be on around £3.5million per year and the likes of World Cup winner Blaise Matuidi and Mexico international Rodolfo Pizarro also on the payroll.

Inter Miami have only won two of their six Eastern Conference matches so far this season and Neville is understood to be keen to refresh the squad when the transfer window opens.

David Beckham's Inter Miami have only won two of their six Eastern Conference games so far this season
David Beckham’s Inter Miami have only won two of their six Eastern Conference games so far this season

Willian’s wage demands may be a problem for Inter Miami but it seems they have not been put off by his form this season and would be getting a player with vast experience, having won multiple titles and played 70 times for Brazil.

The former Shakhtar Donetsk forward has only started four league matches since Christmas but did score his first goal of the season in his last outing for the club against West Bromwich Albion.

Willian did miss the last game against his old side Chelsea but had started the two Premier League games prior to that and his head coach, Mikel Arteta, came to his defence in his pre-match press conference for Wednesday’s game with Crystal Palace.

Arteta said: “First of all we signed a player with an incredible talent, a proven talent and performance level in this league, and this season has been difficult and I take full responsibility because I have to be the one getting the best out of him and we had moments but not to the level that he did before.

“This is an assessment that we will do individually with the players and with Edu, the board and the ownership to make the right decisions for the future.”




Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button