UK

Ed Sheeran is forced into Covid quarantine for a SECOND time

Ed Sheeran has been forced to quarantine for a second time after he was notified he had come into contact with a Covid-19 case.

The 30-year-old musician, who was last seen cheering on England at Wembley as they faced Germany during the Euro 2020 quarter-finals, is now self-isolating for the second time in just a few weeks.

It is not known where the Shape of You singer may have come in contact with the Covid case but he has tested negative for the virus several times since returning to his Suffolk home, sources told The Sun.   

The musician’s quarantine comes just weeks after he was required to self-isolate at his home for ten days after he flew back from the U.S, which is currently on the UK’s amber list, after promoting his latest single Bad Habits.

It also comes after he was spotted cheering on the Three Lions alongside the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince George and David Beckham as they watched the team play Germany from the Royal Box at the Wembley Stadium on June 29.

Ed Sheeran, 30, has been forced to self-isolate for a second time after he was notified he had come into contact with a Covid-19 case

The latest quarantine will now mean the singer will have to cancel any promotional work for his new single.

A source told The Sun: ‘It’s a bit of a nightmare for Ed, but what can you do?

‘He’s obviously followed the rules and headed straight home when he was told to.

‘Unfortunately, this has come while he’s in the middle of a major comeback after a hiatus but he’ll have to work around it for the ten days.’   

It is unclear if the musician was told to self-isolate via the NHS app or by Test and Trace staff.

Earlier this month, the singer travelled to New York where he appeared on James Corden’s chat show.

Upon his return, he shared an insight into the strict government quarantine restrictions as he took a call from the Home Office during a remote interview with Harry Potter actors Oliver and James Phelps for their podcast, Normal Not Normal.

The clip showed a government official speaking to the singer for a few minutes to confirm he was complying with the quarantine rules as the singer said: ‘Wait, wait, government, hello?’ 

Just moments later, the artist’s manager Stuart Camp, who was also on the call, joked: ‘It’s like being called by your teacher.’

Meanwhile James Phelps quipped: ‘I just had visions of when you’re hiding at your mate’s house and your mum calls to ask if you’re on your own.’ 

This week the Government confirmed that the The Test, Trace & Isolate system was set to stay until at least next year despite alarm over rising numbers of healthy people being doomed to house arrest. 

The musician was recently seen cheering on England from Wembley's Royal Box as they faced Germany during the Euro 2020 quarter-finals. Pictured: Ed Sheeran with David Beckham at the game

The musician was recently seen cheering on England from Wembley’s Royal Box as they faced Germany during the Euro 2020 quarter-finals. Pictured: Ed Sheeran with David Beckham at the game

The latest quarantine will now mean the singer will have to cancel any promotional work for his new single Bad Habits

The latest quarantine will now mean the singer will have to cancel any promotional work for his new single Bad Habits

Details of the ‘Freedom Day’ plans issued by the government overnight made clear that the regime would be ‘necessary through the autumn and winter’. 

‘Test, Trace and Isolate has an important ongoing role in managing the virus and reduces the risk of potentially dangerous variants spreading,’ the guidance said.

‘The Government expects the Test, Trace and Isolate system will remain necessary through the autumn and winter.’

The documents also said exemptions from isolation for the double-jabbed and children were only ‘likely to come into effect later in the summer’, despite Sajid Javid previously specifying August 16.

The latest announcement came after official figures showed the number of people in England ‘pinged’ by the NHS Covid-19 app had jumped by more than 60 per cent in a week.

More than 350,000 alerts were sent to users in the final seven-day period of June, telling them they had been in close contact with someone who had tested positive for coronavirus.

This was up from 219,391 the previous week and was the highest figure since data was first published in January. 

Last week Boris Johnson urged the nation not to delete the app and to stick with it ‘for a little bit longer’ amid fears millions of Britons will be ‘pinged’ and told to self-isolate every week after the delayed Freedom Day next Monday.          

Dido Harding insists Test and Trace has been a success… despite SAGE saying £37billion scheme has FAILED to slow pandemic

Baroness Dido Harding — the former head of NHS Test and Trace — today insisted the scheme has been a success, despite SAGE saying the scheme has failed to slow the pandemic. 

She told MPs she was ‘proud’ of the work done by the £37billion much maligned Covid contact tracing system.

Facing a grilling on the scheme, Baroness Harding said the scheme had achieved its goal of helping break the chains of transmission.

She said: ‘I would actually argue — and I do appreciate that a lot of people listening to this will find this rather incredulous given some of the way it’s been reported — but I would actually argue that NHS Test and Trace has been a success.’

Baroness Harding quoted a recent study suggesting the scheme has reduced transmission by ’18 to 33 per cent’.

Her comments come after the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) said the system had a ‘marginal’ impact on tackling the virus because the system neither tests nor traces enough people.


Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button