UK

Football fan, 43, charged over a racist social media post written after England lost Euro 2020 final

Football fan, 43, is charged over a racist social media post written after England lost Euro 2020 final

  • Scott McCluskey, 43, from Runcorn, will be in court next month charged with sending an offensive/abusive message by a public communication network 
  • Cheshire Police said the charge relates to a Facebook message posted on July 12
  • Police are yet to give details on wording used or who it allegedly targeted 
  • Investigation launched after racist comments targeting players including Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka appeared online after final 


A football fan has been charged in connection with a racist social media post shared online following the Euro 2020 final. 

Scott McCluskey, 43, from Runcorn will appear at Warrington Magistrates’ Court next month charged with sending an offensive/abusive message by a public communication network. 

Cheshire Police said the charge related to a Facebook message posted on Monday July 12 – the day after England lost to Italy in a penalty shoot out in the Euro 2020 final at Wembley Stadium.   

McCluskey, of Blyth Close, will appear in court on September 8. 

Police are yet to give details on the wording use, or who it allegedly targeted. 

Nineteen-year-old Bukayo Saka was  inconsolable after failing to score his penalty kick, and faced racist abuse online following the match 

Marcus Rashford

Jadon Sancho

Marcus Rashford (left) and Jadon Sancho (right) also faced racist abuse after missing their penalties in the final held in Wembley last month

An investigation was launched when racist comments targeting players including Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka appeared on social media following England’s 3-2 defeat in the tournament. 

Mark Roberts, Chief Constable of Cheshire Constabulary and the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) lead for football policing, spoke out against the racism targeted at members of the England team. 

‘Hate crime in any form is simply not acceptable,’ he said at the time. 

‘The racial abuse aimed at our own players following Sunday night’s game was totally abhorrent and has quite rightly shocked and appalled people across the country.

‘Those in the England team have been true role models throughout the tournament, conducting themselves with professionalism and dignity. 

‘I’m disgusted that there are a number of individuals out there who think it’s acceptable to direct such abuse at them, or at anybody else.

Mark Roberts, Chief Constable of Cheshire Constabulary and the National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC) lead for football policing, spoke out against the racist posts online

Mark Roberts, Chief Constable of Cheshire Constabulary and the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) lead for football policing, spoke out against the racist posts online 

‘We are working very closely with social media platforms to trace those responsible for these utterly vile messages.

‘I want to make it clear to anyone thinking of doing anything similar that you cannot simply hide behind a computer screen, using pseudo names to conceal your identity

‘Rest assured that we will track you down and you will face the consequences of your reprehensible actions.’

Advertisement


Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button