Have you been using the microwave wrong your whole life? Foodie shoes the ‘correct’ method for re-heating food – and it might surprise you
- A viral TikTok video reveals the ‘right way’ to reheat food in the microwave
- The woman shocked thousands after sharing the simple but clever hack
- The food was placed on the edge of the microwave plate, not the centre
- The woman claims the hack evenly reheats the entire meal
A TikTok video has gone viral after a foodie revealed the ‘right way’ to reheat food in a microwave – and many have been using the wrong method their whole lives.
The woman, who goes by the name Tanya Home Inspo, shocked thousands after sharing the ‘mind-blowing’ clip.
According to the London-based NHS worker, the most efficient way to use the microwave is to position the food on the edge of the glass microwave plate rather than in the centre.
Scroll down for video
In the TikTok video, Tanya positioned a container of food on the edge of the rotating microwave plate rather than in the middle
In the video she placed a container of food on the edge of the rotating plate then proceeded to turn on the appliance.
‘You know when you reheat food and some parts of it are hot enough to burn your mouth and a part of it is still frozen?’ she said in the video.
‘Well that happens because you shouldn’t actually have your food in the middle of the plate, it should be on the edge so it can actually rotate around and cook evenly.’
Tanya decided to try the hack herself after watching another TikTok video and dubbed it as the ‘hack you wish you’d known sooner’.
After sharing the clip with her 190,000 TikTok followers the video quickly went viral and has since been viewed more than 85,000 times.
‘Am I the only one that’s mind blown?’ one person wrote, but others were just as surprised.
‘Whaaat? Omg thanks,’ another added, a third wrote: ‘Thing I didn’t know that I needed to know.’
While many were impressed, others noticed a flaw in the theory and questioned what to do if you have a large plate of food rather than a small container.
Microwave cooking tips
* Metal or foil should never be used in the microwave. Instead, cook with plastic, glass or ceramic dishes and lids, plastic wrap and microwave bags
* Food continues to cook for a little while after being removed from the microwave, so allow dishes to stand for one or two minutes before serving
* You can place onion and garlic cloves in the microwave for 10 seconds to make the root vegetables easier to peel
* Microwaves are great for defrosting meat in a hurry
* The microwave is a quick way to prepare any vegetable that you would otherwise boil or steam. Fruit can also be cooked in the microwave
* To cook rice with minimal fuss, add one and a half cups of water and a pinch of salt to a cup of rice, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for about twelve minutes
* Care should be taken when cooking food in the microwave to avoid overcooking
Source: Australia’s Best Recipes