UK

High Court in London accepts request from Virginia Giuffre’s lawyers

High Court in London accepts request from Virginia Giuffre’s lawyers to notify Prince Andrew about sex assault case

  • Judges accepted request by Ms Giuffre to formally contact Andrew over case  
  • Royal’s lawyers insisted he had not been officially notified about the civil case 
  • High Court has now agreed to formally notify Andrew about the legal action  


Prince Andrew in Windsor in April 

The High Court today agreed to formally notify Prince Andrew about Virginia Giuffre’s bombshell sex assault claim against him – paving the way for him to have to give evidence under oath. 

In a major development, English judges accepted a request by Ms Giuffre’s legal team to formally contact Andrew about the civil proceedings launched in America, after first rejecting the request, citing a technicality.

For one person to sue another, the claimant has to formally present papers to the other party to notify them they are being sued – a process know as a service of proceedings. 

Despite Andrew being represented in court, his team state he has not yet received a service of proceedings. 

In response, Ms Giuffre’s legal team used the Hague Service Convention, a treaty that governs requests between countries for evidence in civil or commercial matters, to ask the High Court to formally notify Andrew about her civil action. 

After earlier highlighting an issue with the application, the High Court said later: ‘The lawyers acting for Ms Giuffre have now provided further information to the High Court, and the High Court has accepted the request for service under the Hague Service Convention.

‘The legal process has not yet been served but the High Court will now take steps to serve under the convention, unless service is arranged by agreement between the parties.’ 

Today’s development paves the way for Andrew to have to formally answer Giuffre’s case in court.    

Ms Giuffre, an alleged victim of convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, first filed a lawsuit against Prince Andrew in federal court in Manhattan, New York, on August 9. She is seen centre, with her lawyers

Ms Giuffre, an alleged victim of convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, first filed a lawsuit against Prince Andrew in federal court in Manhattan, New York, on August 9. She is seen centre, with her lawyers 

Andrew, Virginia Roberts, aged 17, and Ghislaine Maxwell at Maxwell's townhouse in London

Andrew, Virginia Roberts, aged 17, and Ghislaine Maxwell at Maxwell’s townhouse in London

The question about whether Andrew had been properly notified was a major topic at Monday’s pre-trial hearing at the US district court for the southern district of New York.

The Duke’s attorney, Andrew B Brettler, said their legal team had ‘significant concerns’ about the lawsuit, and that Ms Giuffre had previously entered into a ‘settlement agreement’ that would nullify her case. 

Mr Brettler said during the hearing, held via telephone conference, the duke’s team contested ‘the validity of service to date’, adding he has not been properly served under either UK or international law.

David Boies, representing Ms Giuffre, said that the complaint had been ‘delivered to the last known address of the defendant’, he added that the documents had also been sent ‘by Royal Mail’.

But it appears Mr Boies and his colleagues are trying another course by making the request to the High Court.

Prince Andrew with his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson leaving Windsor to drive to the Queen's Balmoral estate in Scotland last week

Prince Andrew with his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson leaving Windsor to drive to the Queen’s Balmoral estate in Scotland last week

Ms Giuffre is suing the Queen’s son for allegedly sexually assaulting her when she was a teenager. She is seeking unspecified damages, but there is speculation the sum could be in the millions of dollars.

She claims she was trafficked by Andrew’s former friend and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein to have sex with the duke, when she was aged 17 and a minor under US law.

Andrew has vehemently denied all the allegations. 

In a car-crash 2019 interview with the BBC (above), Andrew claimed he had no memory of ever meeting Roberts

In a car-crash 2019 interview with the BBC (above), Andrew claimed he had no memory of ever meeting Roberts

Advertisement


Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button