Personal trainer, 29, died shortly after drinking pre-workout shake containing up to 200 TIMES more caffeine than a normal cup of coffee, inquest hears
- Thomas Mansfield, 29, fell ill after taking the drink mixed with caffeine solution
- May have taken five times the potentially fatal level of stimulant caffeine powder
- Mr Mansfield complained his heart was ‘racing’ before he collapsed at his home
A personal trainer died shortly after ingesting a pre-workout drink mixed with caffeine, an inquest heard today.
Father-of-two Thomas Mansfield measured out the powder and mixed it with a drink at his home in Colwyn Bay, Wales, but quickly felt unwell and complained of a racing heart.
The 29-year-old collapsed and was rushed to Glan Clwyd Hospital, Bodelwyddan, but died in the emergency department.
The inquest was told Mr Mansfield may have taken five times the potentially fatal level of caffeine.
Father-of-two Thomas Mansfield fell ill after mixing a caffeine powder with a drink
An inquest into his death was formally opened at Ruthin County Hall today.
The coroner heard how Mr Mansfield, who ran his own business and also worked as a security guard, had returned home after carrying out voluntary work on January 5.
His partner saw him measuring the powder and putting it in a drink but within minutes he said he was feeling unwell and his heart was ‘racing’.
His condition deteriorated quickly as he began fitting before being taken to the hospital. He died later that day.
Toxicology tests showed Mr Mansfield had a level of 392 milligrammes of caffeine per litre of blood.
The coroner said a normal cup of coffee contained 2-4 milligrammes and deaths had been recorded at 78 milligrammes.
Pathologist Dr Mark Atkinson gave the provisional cause of death as caffeine toxicity.
Mr Mansfield, a 29-year-old personal trainer who ran his own business, collapsed and was rushed to Glan Clwyd Hospital, Bodelwyddan, but died in the emergency department
John Gittins, coroner for North Wales east and central, said that a ‘substantial investigation’ will be held into the circumstances surrounding Mr Mansfield’s death.
Further analysis of the caffeine powder used by Mr Masnfield will be conducted with the help of Conwy Council and the Food Standards Agency.
The coroner adjourned the inquest to a later date pending further investigations.