UK

Philip Schofield suggests Harry and Meghan have ‘made their point’ and should ‘shut up’

This Morning host Phillip Schofield today hit out at Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, suggesting they had ‘stabbed a knife through the heart of the monarchy’. 

The 58-year-old asked royal biographer Gyles Brandreth whether it was time for the Sussexes to ‘shut up’ because they have ‘made their point’ and can now ‘return to their quiet life in America’.

His question comes after the couple tipped off a sympathetic journalist who made public their continuing war with the Royal Family – despite the Queen’s hopes a palace investigation into their Oprah claims would be ‘deal with privately’. 

Schofield went on to comment on how the couple had complained to US TV host Gayle King that senior royals are still yet to speak to Meghan following the bombshell Oprah interview. 

King revealed today that she had spoken to Meghan and Harry over the weekend, and claimed they were ‘upset’ that the palace were saying they wanted to sort things out privately while ‘disparaging’ stories were still being published about Meghan. 

Speaking on CBS This Morning, Gayle King said: 'Meghan has documents to back up everything that she said on Oprah’s interview. Everything'

Harry and Meghan prompted fresh outrage after sharing private conversations with Prince Charles and Prince William with US journalist Gayle King

‘No one in the royal family has talked to Meghan yet at this particular time,’ King had told CBS. 

‘They both want to move forward with this and they both want healing in this family. At the end of the day, that’s Harry’s family.’

Discussing King’s claims with panellists Beverley Turner and Gyles Brandreth, Schofield said: ‘There’s been an enormous amount of sympathy over the race issue and the mental health issue… but looking at the polls that sympathy seems to be ebbing away. 

‘Isn’t there this feeling Gyles, that you’ve made your point, essentially shut up now and get on with your quiet American life, you’ve stabbed a knife through the heart of the monarchy… but stop now.’

It came as Meghan and Harry’s friend today launched a fresh attack on Buckingham Palace amid the growing row over the couple’s decision to tell King about their ‘unproductive’ peace talks with the Royal Family.

Omid Scobie accused the media and Royal aides of double standards after it was reported that the Palace is believed to be unhappy with the couple’s decision to reveal the details of the private talks with William and Charles. 

He claimed he was ‘confused’ by criticism of the couple and claimed a ‘new royal protocol’ had been concocted after the Palace said it would not provide ‘running commentary on private conversations’. 

Philip Schofield released his pent-up frustration during a segment about how the couple this morning

Philip Schofield released his pent-up frustration during a segment about how the couple this morning 

Buckingham Palace has issued one statement on the Sussexes about the Oprah interview, on Tuesday last week, which said that ‘some recollections may vary’ but the claims raised would be ‘addressed by the family privately’.

Royal sources have since said the palace will not ‘giving a running commentary on private conversations’, but there has been no briefing from palace sources since the initial statement was made on the Queen’s behalf.

Prince William’s wife Kate put on a brave face while driving in west London this morning amid more turmoil caused by her brother-in-law and sister-in-law’s interview watched by tens of millions around the globe. 

The Sussexes had insisted that their explosive interview with Oprah Winfrey would be their ‘final word’ on royal affairs – but warfare erupted again after the couple told CBS This Morning host Gayle that Harry had finally spoken to his father and brother.  

Hours later, Miss King disclosed on American TV that the talks ‘were not productive’. The breakfast show host also suggested that Meghan was unhappy no one in the Royal Family had thought to telephone her. 

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge driving in West London today as it emerged that Prince Harry has spoken to his brother William and father Charles

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge driving in West London today as it emerged that Prince Harry has spoken to his brother William and father Charles

And, in a thinly-veiled threat, the presenter said the duchess had ‘documents to back up everything she said on Oprah’s interview’, just as the Queen was seeing her husband Prince Philip for the first time in a month after he was released from hospital.

Omid Scobie, co-author of the Sussexes biography Finding Freedom and a close ally of the couple, said today he was ‘confused’ by the criticism they have received as their friends again came out to back them as royal insiders accused Harry and Meghan of a betrayal of trust.

Mr Scobie tweeted: ‘Bit confused here, so just want to get this new royal protocol correct. It’s okay when info is leaked to the papers via a palace source but not when Gayle King shares it on TV? Righty-ho then’.

But critics have accused the Sussexes of double standards, with one replying to Mr Scobie’s tweet: ‘The point is that private phone calls are openly discussed with personal media friends. This is the very reason Meghan cut off her family’.  Another wrote: ‘Omid – I don’t think it was a very clever savvy move to disclose something like this via Gayle King. It’s a poor move which benefits no one’. 

Omid Scobie, a journalist friend of the couple, defended their decision to brief another ally in the media about talks with Harry's family

Omid Scobie, a journalist friend of the couple, defended their decision to brief another ally in the media about talks with Harry’s family


Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button