The mother of a five-year-old boy who died after a mirror fell on him in an upmarket department store has paid tribute to her ‘lovely son’ today.
Freddie Farrow succumbed to his injuries six days after being rushed to hospital following the incident in the Fenwick department store in Colchester, Essex.
The boy was shopping with family in the High Street store when the tragedy unfolded on July 27 and now an urgent probe has been launched.
Essex Police revealed how officers, staff and shoppers battled to try and save Freddie, but he sadly died on August 2.
Today Freddie’s mother Natasha Ingham paid tribute to her son and those who tried to save his life.
She said: ‘He will never leave us. He will be with us every single day throughout all our lives – until we see him again.
‘As a family we are devastated by his death He was such a lovely little boy – and very cheeky in a lot of ways.
‘He used to pick me flowers every day – it could have been daisies or whatever he could get his hands on – and give them to me and tell me he loved me and I would tell him I loved him back’.
Freddie Farrow, five, had been out shopping with his family when tragedy struck last month
The department store has been shut since the tragedy as an investigating is carried out
She added: ‘He was so content; he would always ask questions and, I know every mum will say this, he was such a clever little boy.’
‘Everyone who knew Freddie just loved him – he was that kind of boy. He was always smiling, and he really loved going to the beach.’
She also thanked locals in Colchester, and from further afield, for the outpouring of support, adding: ‘I have had a lot of messages from people and that support has been really important for us and I’d like to thank people for that.’
Her thoughts were echoed by Freddie’s father, Andrew Farrow .
‘I am grateful for the time we had with Freddie. Every day he was loved and cherished and brought so much happiness to everyone who knew him,’ he said.
Police and Ambulance outside Fenwicks store in Colchester on July 27 after it happened
‘Freddie, his brother and sister were inseparable and I know for sure he will be watching over them.
‘Freddie was an expert Lego builder, confident swimmer, and enjoyed crabbing and park running. He had such a contagious laugh and always pulled funny faces.
‘I will miss you Fredboy, so, so much… and until we meet again, I love you.’
Mr Farrow added: ‘I would like to thank the members of the public and emergency services who came to Freddie’s aid on the day of the incident and the specialist care he received after.
‘I have also been touched by the support shown to us by the Colchester community and my family have taken, and continue to take, comfort in that.’
Freddie had just completed Year 1 at Gosbecks Primary School, in Colchester, and the family had planned a trip to LegoLand for his sixth birthday before he was due to begin Year 2 at the school.
Polly Bradford, Head of School, said: ‘We are still coming to terms with this devastating loss as a school, and our thoughts and sympathies are with Freddie’s family at this distressing time.
‘Freddie was a little star. His sensitive and caring nature shone through with his friends, who he always looked out and cared for. He was a sweet natured boy who was always polite and well-mannered with everyone he came across in school.
‘Freddie was a quiet and thoughtful soul and it had been lovely to see him grow in confidence over the past few months, working hard and taking pride in his achievements. His unique character and lovely smile touched all who knew him.
‘Freddie was a credit to his family and his kindness and thoughtfulness will be sorely missed by his teachers and friends. Words cannot describe the utter loss felt by those who cherished Freddie. Our deepest sympathies and condolences are with those who knew and loved him; he will be in our hearts forever.’
In the wake of his death Chief Inspector Rob Huddleston, District Commander for Colchester, said: ‘I know I speak for all of my teams when I say that we are extremely saddened by today’s news.
‘This is a truly heart-breaking incident and all of our thoughts are with the boy’s loved ones.
‘On behalf of my attending officers, I would also like to thank the members of the public and store staff who went above and beyond to assist us.
‘We are extremely grateful for your help.’
An urgent probe has been launched into the death by council officials with the support of Essex Police.
A Colchester Borough Council spokesperson said: ‘We are all deeply saddened by the news of the passing of the five-year-old boy following the incident at Fenwick on Tuesday 27 July. Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this tragic time.
‘We are continuing our full and thorough investigation into the circumstances of the incident under our health and safety responsibilities.’
A fundraising page set up for the family of a five-year-old boy who lost his life after suffering devastating injuries at a Colchester department store has topped £1,800.
Fenwick has said the company was working with the local authorities to understand what happened and the store remained closed for several days ‘as a mark of respect’.