The RSPCA has revealed their weirdest animal rescues of the year, including saving a seal from a running machine and a fox with its head caught in a watering can.
These hilarious pictures show hapless pets and wild animals stuck in bizarre places before being freed.
Rescuers from the charity have compiled the oddest rescues of 2020, with the weirdest being a grey seal trapped in a treadmill.
Other strange call-outs include a fox with its head stuck in a watering can, a frog wedged in a drain cover and a lamb trapped 50ft down a pipe.
Workers at a gym in Llanelli, Wales, raised the alarm when this seal was found in a treadmill. He is believed to have swum up the River Lougher before entering the warehouse
This fox cub regretted putting its head in to see what was inside as it became stuck and in need of rescuing in Sevenoaks, Kent
Luckily the little fox cub in Sevenoaks, Kent, was fine when the watering can was finally removed
An RSPCA spokesperson said: “More than one million calls are made to the RSPCA each year to report animals in need of help.
“Some certainly get themselves into some surprising situations.”
The weirdest rescue came when workers at a gym equipment warehouse in Llanelli, Wales, were stunned to find a grey seal pup in the treadmill machines.
RSPCA rescuer Lauren Bailey helps out a little tawny owl which had become trapped inside a fireplace in Ewelme, Oxfordshire
RSPCA officer Emily Welch comforts a little lamb who fell through a broken manhole cover. The rescue mission took four hours to complete
Cute cockapoo puppy Pudding was stuck inside a reclining chair in Portsmouth. The eight-week old had crawled under the sofa but got his fur stuck
This stallion needed help when he got stuck on a swinging gate. Officer Jack Curran came to his rescue in Loughborough, Leicestershire
RSPCA inspector Leigh Summers said: “It’s believed he travelled up the River Loughor before making his way into the warehouse.
“He was sick and underweight.”
In April a fox cub got its head wedged inside a watering can in Sevenoaks, Kent.
RSPCA officer Lynn White managed to free the stricken animal using Vaseline.
She said: “This poor fox had probably got stuck while he was trying to get some water out of the can.
“He was very exhausted from trying to remove it himself.
“I wasn’t sure how best to get him out – but then I remembered I had some Vaseline in my van and so I used that on his neck and then I was able to slide him out.
A quick thinking RSPCA officer used washing up liquid to free a deer trapped in Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
A badger needed help when it got wedged in a garden fence in Goddington, Kent
This hedgehog regretted crawling inside a birdfeeder for food when it became wedged. Luckily RSPCA officer Tony Woodley was sent to help in Horsham, West Sussex
In May rescuers spent four hours rescuing a lost lamb when the animal fell 50ft down a broken manhole and into an underground pipe in a field in Durham.
RSCPA inspector Emily Welch said: “The farmer noticed the lamb’s mum stood at the top of the hole looking lost and he couldn’t spot her baby.
“When he went to investigate he heard the little lamb bleating from down the drain.”
This ewe looked sheepish after getting stuck in a metal feeder in Richmond, Surrey, before the RSPCA’s Emily Welch helped out
A snake was found wrapped around a gas meter in Gosport, Hampshire
In October two-month-old cockapoo puppy Pudding got trapped inside his owner’s reclining chair in Portsmouth before Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service cut him free unharmed.
A tawny owl was rescued from a family’s fireplace in Ewelme, Oxon, in April.
Meanwhile a tram driver saved a newborn calf from drowning after spotting it trapped up to its neck in a bog in Rochdale in May.
Rescuers were also called to a city street in Bradford in June when baffled residents saw a goat standing at a bus stop.
How did Ewe get there? The weirdest rescues by RSPCA officers of 2020
- Seal saved from inside a running machine in Llanelli, Wales
- A fox with his head stuck in a watering can in Sevenoaks, Kent
- Lamb which fell 50ft down a broken manhole drain in Durham
- Tawny owl helped out of a fireplace in Ewelme, Oxon
- Newborn calf saved from drowning in bog in Rochdale, Greater Manchester
- Goat stood at a bus stop in Bradford, West Yorkshire
- Puppy trapped inside a reclining chair in Portsmouth
- A horse trapped on top of a gate in Loughborough, Leics
- A squirrel got stuck in the back of a man’s fridge in Wimbledon
- A frog got its legs stuck in a drain cover on Merseyside
- Rescuers were called after a fox got its head stuck in a wheelchair lift in Oxford.
- A corn snake was found inside the pipes of a gas meter in Gosport, Hants.
- Rescuers were called to help a badger got its bottom wedged in a garden fence in Goddington, Kent
- A sheep which was trapped in a metal feeder in Richmond, Surrey
- A hedgehog which got wedged in a bird feeder in Horsham, West Sussex.
- A deer caught in a metal gate in Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- A hedgehog chiselled out of a tiny gap in a concrete pillar in Blackpool
- A 4ft snake hiding inside a family’s tumble dryer in Southport, Merseyside.
- An RSPCA rescuer helped a rat stuck inside a car wheel in Gateshead, Tyne & Wear
- A sheep caught inside a metal feeder on the outskirts of Richmond, Surrey