In her first comments since the passing of her former father-in-law Prince Philip, Sarah Ferguson, 61, shared an Instagram post which read: ‘Storytime with Fergie and Friends and Little Red News will be put on hold for a week, recommencing on Monday 19 April, due to the sad passing of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh.’
The news comes after it was announced that Prince Philip, 99, died ‘peacefully’ at Windsor Castle, with the Queen by his side, on Friday Morning.
Sarah, who is commonly known as Fergie, divorced Prince Andrew in 1996 and was said to have a long-running feud with her former father-in-law the Duke for years.
Sarah Ferguson, 61, pictured, announced she would put her Youtube shows Storytime with Fergie and Friends and Little Red News on hold for a week following the announcement of the Duke of Edinburgh’s death on Friday
The Duchess of York usually shares a video daily on her Youtube channel, reading from children’s books and offering arts and craft lessons for the whole family.
Storytime with Fergie and Friends enjoyed much popularity during the 2020 lockdown last night, with thousands of households tuning it at 4pm everyday.
But Sarah will respectfully not be promoting her online content this week after news of Prince Philip’s passing rocked the royal family.
Her former husband Prince Andrew, 61, is reportedly comforting his mother the Queen at Windsor Castle, as the Monarch grieves the death of Prince Philip and begins life without her ‘strength and stay’ throughout their 73-year marriage and her 68-year reign.
Fergie announced on Instagram that Storytime with Fergie and Friends and Little Red News would return to Youtube next week
Prince Charles, 73, reportedly stayed with his mother until late on Friday night to comfort her as well.
The Duke’s coffin is in Her Majesty’s private chapel of worship at their Berkshire home before being moved to the nearby Albert Memorial Chapel later today, where he will rest during seven days of national mourning ahead of his hugely scaled-back funeral next Saturday.
Fergie had a good relationship with her father-in-law Philip during the early days of her romance with Andrew.
She impressed the Queen by riding horses, and won the Duke of Edinburgh over by learning to drive carriages, one of the royal Consort’s passions.
Prince Philip, 99 who is Fergie’s former father-in-law, passed away at Windsor Castle on Friday morning, with the Queen, left, at his bedside. Pictured: The Queen, Fergie, Prince Andrew and Prince Philip at Buckingham Palace on the occasion on the monarch’s 60th birthday on 21 April 1986
The Queen is in mourning after the tragic death of Prince Philip who was rushed to hospital earlier this year. Pictured last year at Windsor Castle ahead of his 99th birthday
Growing up in close proximity to the Royal family—Fergie’s father was Prince Charles and Philip’s polo manager—she developed an interest in most things liked by the Queen and Philip, including horse-riding and piloting a plane.
Are these the 30 people who will attend Prince Philip’s funeral? Royals face dilemma over who to invite because of Covid rules
The Royal Family faces a dilemma over who to invite to Prince Philip’s funeral due to the coronavirus restrictions in place across England.
The Queen will only be able to invite 30 people to the ceremony at St George’s Chapel in the grounds of Windsor Castle.
This is despite 800 mourners from across the Duke of Edinburgh’s military units and charities as well as friends and associates from across the Commonwealth originally planned to come.
The final list, which is expected in the next few days, will likely be made up of senior members of the Royal Family as well as the Prime Minister.
Prince Philip said he wanted a funeral with minimal fuss, but the passing of Britain’s longest serving consort was always going to be a big affair.
His hope for a ‘royal ceremonial funeral’ – similar to the Queen Mother’s – rather than a full state funeral, had already been granted.
But the pandemic and restrictions means this is being hastily redrawn, with Her Majesty said to have been in talks with officials even from last night.
They are tweaking Operation Forth Bridge and are having to drastically scale back the number of people invited to the ceremony, expected next Saturday.
The expected invitees are: The Queen; Prince Charles; Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall; Princess Anne; Vice Admiral Timothy Laurence; Prince Andrew; Sarah Ferguson; Edward, Earl of Wessex; Sophie, Countess of Wessex; Prince William; Kate, Duchess of Cambridge; Prince George; Princess Charlotte; Prince Louis; Prince Harry; Peter Phillips; Zara Tindall; Mike Tindall; Princess Beatrice; Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi; Princess Eugenie; Jack Brooksbank; Lady Louise Windsor; James, Viscount Severn; Edward, Duke of Kent; Katherine, Duchess of Kent; Princess Alexandra; Prince Michael of Kent; Boris Johnson; Admiral Tony Radakin.
The monarch and her husband were so taken with the then Duchess of York that in 1987, Vanity Fair posed the question: ‘Is Fergie’s Fizz Leaving Di Flat?’ Fergie was so popular with the Royal family that the Queen would invite her for private supper, a privilege not extended to many even inside the Royal family.
The royal favour began to run out in the early 90s, with frequent reports suggesting that Prince Andrew and Fergie’s marriage was in trouble.
Then, in the summer of 1992, the now infamous pictures were published showing a topless Fergie on holiday having her toes sucked by American businessman John Bryan. The photos finalised the breakdown of Fergie and Prince Andrew’s marriage.
At the time of the photos’ publication, Fergie was staying with the Royal family at Balmoral, and once the news filtered through, the Queen reportedly said Fergie should leave for London, but not before Prince Philip allegedly commented.
W Magazine mentioned the unconfirmed story that said Prince Philip stormed downstairs, holding the copy of the paper with the scandalous photos on the front page, handed it to Fergie and said: ‘There but for the grace of God go I.’
According to W Magazine, Philip bore a ‘long-standing hatred’ toward Fergie for the Royal scandal for years.
After Fergie and Prince Andrew’s divorce, Philip allegedly blocked any attempts from the Royal family to help Fergie, who had some financial troubles down the years.
It was so strong that Philip reportedly couldn’t be in the same room as Fergie. When she was invited back to Balmoral, 21 years after the scandal broke, Philip delayed his arrival until after Fergie had left.
The relationship appeared to be frosty for several years, with Philip only going to Windsor Castle on the eve of Princess Eugenie’s wedding after Fergie was seen leaving.
Despite the feud, Fergie and Andrew have reconciled, with the former couple living with or near each other while their daughters were growing up. They are often seen at functions together, as in Ascot 2018. Princess Eugenie herself describes them as ‘the best divorced couple I know’.
Prince Philip allegedly couldn’t stand Fergie and Andrew’s living arrangement. As a royal source once told The Sun: ‘He cannot understand why she’s living under the same roof as Andrew after all these years.’
However it is believed in recent years that tensions had thawed.
On the occasion of Princess Eugenie’s wedding in October 2018, Prince Philip agreed to appear in the wedding pictures with his former daughter-in-law for the first time in more than 20 years.
The Duke of Edinburgh spent his final days at Windsor Castle with his wife the Queen who he lovingly called Lilibet throughout their long life together, after a 28-night stay in hospital having been admitted in mid-February for an infection and a pre-existing heart condition.
Her Majesty announced her husband’s death at midday as the Union Flag was lowered to half-mast outside Buckingham Palace and on public buildings across the UK and Commonwealth.
On the occasion of Princess Eugenie’s wedding in October 2018, Prince Philip agreed to appear in the wedding pictures with his former daughter-in-law for the first time in more than 20 years